CSL contemporary value? 73 RS Touring on BaT

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
This has been discussed a million times but with many considering the CSL and 73 RS Touring to be contemporaries, this will be interesting. Not more than 2-3 have ever sold on BaT. Is the historic delta narrowing with the increase (perceived?) in CSL values or staying the same? Another thing interesting is this car coming w an elec sunroof and A/C. Obviously a special order.

Hi @tferrer

I think the gap is still fairly wide, although closed a little a few years ago and has been stagnant since, even when CS's and CSI's have really jumped CSL's have not. When you look at the bottom of the 73 RS range, they are at very top of the Batmobile range and still way above our first 169 carb cars, which to me are the ultimate lightweight specification.

There are still the very best lightweight 73 RS's that will sell for over $1M and that is at least double anything we have seen for a Batmobile and three times what seems to be the range of a Carb CSL.

In race cars the gap is 3-4 times when you compare like for like - ie works car with major wins.

Hi @BMW Pete. I agree on all fronts. I think a tangerine lightweight RS cleared 2M at Pebble this last year. One could/should argue there really shouldn't be such a huge delta on either the carbed CSL's or last BAT cars.. But I'm biased...;-)

Back