CSL: "Die fünf Muskeltiere"

CSL 1973

Reaction score
When talking to some CSL-enthusiasts, more and more people are interested to know what happened to all the five CSLs, that participated in the famous test in August/September 1972. The test was published in AMS in November 1972.

Participating cars were:

3.0 CSL - 200HP standard factory version (early injection car in Golf) with reg plate "M-AH 1094".

3,0 CSL - 230HP GS Tuning (based on a carb CSL in Golf) resprayed white, with 3x Webers, reg plate "M-AH 1092".

3,0 CSL - 250HP Alpina, resprayed Blue/Red, with Kugelfischer injection, "LL-L 502".

3,0 CSL - 260HP Koepchen, resprayed White/Blue, with 3x Solex, "KK-HK 49".

3,0 CSL - 290HP Schnitzer "the green monster" (based on a late carb version), with added Kugelfischer injection, "M-AH 1093".

To my knowledge, at least four of the cars are existing today. Two are in Europe and two in the US. I'm not really sure if the Alpina and Koepchen cars were based on the injection or the carb CSL. However, the Koepchen car is the one not yet traced.

This can of course create a puzzled mind for a true CSL-enthusiast. Where is the Koepchen car today?! The only fact, in relation to Koepchen, I can contribute with, is that Hans-Peter Koepchen previously worked for Schnitzer.

Sometimes, the CSL-world is a small world!

Cheers
Henric

Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
LL-L-502 was a poor color combo if you ask me, but aesthetics were not a priority judging by the antenna placement in the roof of the car and the driver's hairdo...

wsk

Reaction score
Here's a translation of that AMS article I did a while back (no, I don't speak German- it was done the hard way, with a dictionary and Google Translate!).

Attachments

• AMS_24_1972_text(English).doc.zip
    14.4 KB · Views: 394

giannicsl

Reaction score
great

.... boy we know and someone wants to write the vin # number of red-blue alpine csl!

help much appreciated me and the whole community, bmw e9!
thanks

Orangener

Reaction score
Here are the scans, I have the issue of AMS at home for years:

Link to my photobucket-folder: http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg265/Orangener/AMS 25 Nov 1972/

The contestants:

schnitzer.jpg

GS.jpg

koepchen.jpg

alpina.jpg

seriecsl.jpg

Orangener

Reaction score
PS : The title of this article "Die 5 Muskeltiere" is an amphibology of the five Musketeers and the Five Well-Muscled Animals.....

@wsk : I take my hat off to you ! Chapeau !

Gerrit

Reaction score
LL-L-502 was a poor color combo if you ask me

I seem to remember that the car was known as the Barbasol car, also a shaving product with similar colors... not that it matters all that much, just trivia fun...

Gerrit

giannicsl

Reaction score
Vin#

YANNICK great !!!!!!!(tradotto ...GRANDE YANNICK)

KNOW THE VIN # OF THIS RED AND BLUE CSL ALPINA??

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There may be a reason but one has a choice of accepting a sponsor or not. If the car was sponsored by Code Pink would the car be painted pink and raced by Jodie Evans?

bmw2002

Reaction score
Alpina A6 systems

All,
This is an old post but I have a question relating to the red/blue Alpina car.
Anybody that knows this car has seen the engine of it?
I am curious to know if it still has the original Alpina A6 butterfly system. The reason I ask is that a friend of mine bought such a system which had been laying on a shelf in a tuning shop for many years. It was a complete system including improved Kugelfischer pump. I wonder if this system comes from this car or do you know if this setup was available as a tuning kit for people wanting to get more power out of their M30 engine?????

Many thanks for facts, but please no speculations....

shanon

Reaction score
"In search of......the Koepchen Coupe"

like that one alot, bubble flared....mmmmm.

CSL 1973

Reaction score
AMS 24/1972 Die fünf Muskeltiere

It might be time to update this thread. Below the latest news of the current state of the participating cars (please correct any incorrect info):

KK-HK 49:
Koepchen, Willich (55 000 DM), based on a carb CSL (?) with 3x Solex. Re-sprayed in White/Light-Blue. No trace of this car.

LL- L 502:
Alpina B2 S, Buchloe "The Santa Fe Express - King of the road" (42 242 DM), based on a carb CSL, Re-sprayed to Blue Red. Lives in Germany.

M-AH 1093:
Schnitzer, Aachen "The Green Monster" (56 667 DM), based on a late carb CSL. Re-sprayed to Green. At the time for the test, not street legal (special permission). Required two persons to start the car. Lives in USA.

M-AH 1092:
GS-Tuning, Freiburg (42 760 DM), based on a carb CSL originally in Golf. Re-sprayed to White metallic. Lives in Germany and is currently undergoing a resto back to original GS-Tuning state.

M-AH 1094:
Pretty early standard injection CSL (31 950 DM), originally in Golf. Later on, re-sprayed to White with a twin-turbo engine modification. Lives in USA and rumour says it's undergoing a resto back to original Golf.

As one may have noticed, I have placed the cars in the same order, from the left to the right, as on the factory-photo when these cars were prepared for the famous test at Hockenheim, as described in AMS 24/1972. I think it has to be correctly lined-up in the garage for the collector who manage to get these five iconic CSLs under the same roof.

Cheers
Henric

Last edited:

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Henric,

Just an update on M-AH 1093 "The Green Monster" is currently in Germany and being restored as we speak.

Best

Peter