CSL insurance help

adami

Reaction score
Hi all, my name is Adam and I am new to the e9 boards but I am a life long BMW owner, racer and enthusiast. I have recently (finally) brought home my 1972 1st series CSL. Very clean car with 95 000 original km. Number 76 of the first 169.
I live in Vancouver BC where auto insurance is run by the Province(state) which has its pros and cons. Now that I have the collector plates on it I need to have meetings with them and prove what it is worth for insurance, they are notoriously fickle in their appraisals. If anyone should come across any recent sales or know of something that can help me with this it would be really appreciated.
I plan to apply for at least $100 000 replacement value if not more. I have printed a couple things bring a trailer and one from ebay motors. The 1st series beautiful Inka that sold some time ago is the best reference so far, and I know it went for over $100k but have no proof.
Thanks in advance, Adam

The pics is of the car in North Ontario I drove it back here to BC at start of the summer.

Attachments

• csl good trip ontjpg.jpg
    csl good trip ontjpg.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 185

glenn in encinitas

Site Donor
Reaction score
Due to the weak dollar, you'll want to check out European transactions. Search the archive over the past year for several leads. Most are "for sale" advertisements, but they can set the high mark.

Because there are relatively few transactions every year, you may need to go far and wide for comparables, then take into account the relative differences in the three series of CSLs and, obviously, condition.

Your photo was awesome. What a beautiful image. It's going into my computer!

coupeking

Reaction score
Csl

Adam-
Go to my web site and find the pix of Inka CSL 2211538. This car just sold again 10 days ago for $125K, after being purchased by that owner a year ago for $125K. Having brokered both deals, I can attest to that for you. It is the 35th of the 169 ultralites.
Best-
Peter
coupeking
www.coupeking.com

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Adam - lovely car! How do you get away with the 17" wheels!? Do they not rub?

adami

Reaction score
Due to the weak dollar, you'll want to check out European transactions. Search the archive over the past year for several leads. Most are "for sale" advertisements, but they can set the high mark.

Because there are relatively few transactions every year, you may need to go far and wide for comparables, then take into account the relative differences in the three series of CSLs and, obviously, condition.

Your photo was awesome. What a beautiful image. It's going into my computer!

Thanks, I just had a friend tell me the same thing.

adami

Reaction score
Adam-
Go to my web site and find the pix of Inka CSL 2211538. This car just sold again 10 days ago for $125K, after being purchased by that owner a year ago for $125K. Having brokered both deals, I can attest to that for you. It is the 35th of the 169 ultralites.
Best-
Peter
coupeking
www.coupeking.com

Awesome that is exactly what I need.
Thanks, Adam

adami

Reaction score
They just clear, I mean just, they are off a very early M540i so the offset works. The fronts have a small spacer. I am running 245 40 rear and 235 40 fronts.

Correction 225 40 fronts, there was 235 on there when I got the rims and they rub and make the car track all over the place.

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Hi Adam!

Very nice car!

When you say that your CSL is nr 76 out of the first 169 ones, can you pls confirn that your car has VIN 2211715 (or do you mean VIN 2211376?)

Cheers

de coupe

Reaction score
Great looking car I do like the 17inch wheels

There was a transaction in Monteray a couple weeks ago for a CSL Alpina with low miles for 300,000 dollars. Any one here? Looking foward to Cars And Coffee next month not showing my car as it is restoring process. But great looking car I do wish you all the best.

duane_sword

Reaction score
I have my coupe insured with Grundy Collector Car Insurance.

They performed the inspection through my restoration and then a final appraisal upon completion.

Thankfully the inspector commissioned by Grundy knew what a BMW 'coupe' is, he was informed and had the data on VINs, sale prices, collectability, quality, originality, etc.

http://www.grundy.com

So the combination of a reputable firm with a knowledgable inspection agent is the key.