CSL Progressive Springs

Joep

Reaction score
I just bought a couple of new CLS progressive springs for my CSI. Does anyone know which way I should install them on my front suspension? Should the stiffer part be topside or downside?

Joep

Reaction score
OK Gents, seems that my question was either terribly difficult or not so smart. It has been quite a while now that I have installed the progressive springs with the stiffer part topside. So if anyone was looking for a similar answer, here it is.

Apart from that I was wondering how many of you have done the same conversion. I am still not sure whether I like the change over.I use Koni shocks with these springs which should do fine. It corners well but on "wavy" roads the feel is a bit soggy and starts to behave a bit like a rocking chair.

Any input?

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Input? You are right, this is either too simple or difficult to answer!

Well I certainly can't claim any special knowledge on this topic but I will go back to basic physics. The springs will operate the same in either orientation - the compression curve is the compression curve in any orientation (okay maybe there are small gravitational and temperature effects). That said, and for lack of any other guidance, I would have tended to put the heaviest side (which ever that is) down for minuscule lowering of the center of gravity. Conversely, having the heavier side up would mean less mass needs to move as the wheels move up and down thereby creating a road minuscule improvement in handling. Therefore, in my opinion, you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Probably the only wrong solution is to mix orientations left and right.

I think the more important question is what color did you paint them? :p

Bryce

Reaction score
mine came out with the heavy diameter spring on the bottom. I replaced them with Karl's springs but have yet to drive it.

jonathan49bat

Reaction score
springs

I fitted mine with the close coils at the top! and with Bilstein dampers, mostly ok and they give the car a nice ride height, in some conditions can be a bit harsh - definately not soggy..