CSL Restoration Advice

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ok, I've found myself deep into a CSL project. As many have described, it starts out with a plan for a repaint and rust repair and by the time that is even started you are replacing trim and seals then the engine bay needs refinishing then the engine looks tired, etc. I'm planning on just refurbishing a few things in the interior. It's a nice solid car but has rust in rockers.

My question: if the rust seems mostly in the rear rocker by the wheel well and goes into the center rocker piece but doesn't appear to go forward past the door etc, what should I do? Replace the center and outer pieces completely front to back? Or should I just cut off the horribly rusted out parts and patch/weld. My body guy (who has a lot of experience with 300sl, 356s and has owned/done a few CSs back in the day) wants to just patch the rust. He says that trying to remove the entire outer and center rocker parts will weaken the frame and can result in shell bend and make door/panel fit more difficult later.

Of course my worry is that rust lies somewhere within and will rear its head later. This car will likely never see rain and only careful washing.

Another question...what would you do about the engine? It seemed strong when I drove it but it's very old of course and I'm sure it could use new seals etc. I'm really tempted to "redo" the entire engine bay and replace all hose and mediablast all components then powdercoat/paint or replace as needed to make the engine etc match the paint and finish work. I'm worried I'll want it done later and ought to do it while its all happening.

Lastly, what if any upgrades/modifications would be acceptable to you if it was your car.I'm leaning on keeping it stock but might upgrade AC and wondering about 5speed, suspension, brakes, headers/exhaust and rebuild the engine,etc.

Thanks for any input advice. I'd like the engine to look like this...but it doesnt.
Chuck

Attachments

• engine bay.jpg
    engine bay.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would freshen the engine bay and engine to match the quality of the exterior. Because you have a CSL, I would keep it as original as possible as that increases its value if you ever want to sell it. At the least, if you did decide to do some upgrades, keep those original parts if you have the space.

-Walter

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Call Erik at Coupeking for solid advice about the rust issue.
Take care of the rust 1st.

IMHO- a CSL needs to stay stock ....