CSL - Where is (was) the interior light?

Tyler

Reaction score
I noticed I don't have an interior light - although I can see there used to be something mounted to the dash just to the right of the gauge consol, which seems to match the base of a bendy light pictured in the parts catalogue. Was this a stock item in the CSL instead of an overhead light?

Tyler
'73 CSL Inka

TILLA

Site Donor
Reaction score
I thought that the CSLs have an interior light (11) as all other coupes located between the sun visors. The parts catalog) (catalogue) shows a bendy (gooseneck) type of light (4) also:

Lights.png
[/img]

Tyler

Reaction score
Yep - thats the cataloge picture that caught my eye. My original headliner is unmarked between the visors, but I do show marks on the horizontal dash panel where the bendy light may have been. Now I just need to find the right wire...

Tyler

DJSimca

Reaction score
To my understanding the CSLs did not have the interior light - at least not as standard .. mine doesn't.

The reading light ('bendy light') was an extra option

corsachili

Reaction score
Sure they do............it's over the driver's side door. The style is exactly the same as a non-CSL version, it's just in a different location.

schnell540

Reaction score
To my understanding the CSLs did not have the interior light - at least not as standard .. mine doesn't.

The reading light ('bendy light') was an extra option

Nor does mine.

...Yet another CSL lack of uniformity...

Tyler

Reaction score
No evidence of a light over the drivers door. I did, however, find the original wire to the bendy light that used to be on the dash. The wires match the colors of the interior light in the wire diagram, so I guess this was a factory alternative to the overhead light.

Tyler
'73 CSL Inka

DJSimca

Reaction score
schnell540 said:
Mine's over the driver door also. Could it have been part of the city package?-Paul

Could be. Mine is not a city package car.

Interesting, it could well be part of the city package. Mine is also not a city package car. In fact I have probably seen 20+ non-city package CSL's over the years .. none of them had the interior light

jamesr

Reaction score
yep, mines got the city pack an the interior light is just above the drivers door. And amazingly unlike most parts of my car when i bought it, it actually works...

Gerrit

Reaction score
Early carburetted: Rallye light in the glove compartment
All others: Rallye light on the dash
City packages and RHD: CS ceilling light above the driver´s door (right side for the RHD)
Cheers,
Gerrit

Gerrit

Reaction score
Complement info: all of the 57 last batch CSLs (74-75) had the cielling light.
Gerrit

Tyler

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Gerrit.

Does anyone know a source for a good original Rally light for the dash?

Tyler
'73 CSL Inka

Malc

Reaction score
Source
Check out people like Demon Tweeks in the UK

The rally lights they have might not be exactly like the original, but very close.
I suspect BMW bought them from companies like Hella, Bosch etc so check out if they still make them, they have websites
Malc
PS I have a couple in my shed :lol: could photgraph and post pics if required.