Custom removable wireless cell phone holder and battery pack for the coupe

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
We do a fair bit of driving in unfamiliar areas. In our other cars, we have a screen that hooks up to the iPhone and displays Apple CarPlay which allows use of interactive maps from either Google or Apple. Once you start using these, they quickly become indispensable navigation tools. And I sorely miss them on my coupe, especially when I drive without someone else to point out the directions.

When I redid my dash two years ago I did a lot of experimentation to integrate a 7" screen where the speaker hole was with a removable front to hide it when not in use. I finally found an Alpine unit that would work for this but it is only available in Europe and it was $1,700 at the time. I had already spent way more than I was comfortable with on the car so I had to shelve the idea.

But I was so irritated at having to fumble with my phone or its cord that I decided to try something else. What if I could have the phone securely placed somewhere easily visible, without an need for cords and in a reasonably integrated way. Meaning, no clunky clips or cheapie holders that stick out of the center console. But since the maps apps use a lot of power, I needed it to be charged wirelessly at the same time.

I did a little research and found a battery pack that uses Magsafe technology and has a built it extendable "foot" so it can be positioned vertically. Cool. But how to secure it in the car where I can easily see it and without any permanent modification? I then thought I could simply build a wooden base that fits exactly on top of the dash shelf and build a custom holder attached to that. This way I can just drop it there when I am going to need it and just take it out when I don't.

IMG_1730.jpg

IMG_1719.jpg

IMG_3034.jpg

IMG_3033.jpg

If I am driving in an area with strict speed limit, I just use one of the GPS speedometer apps which are much faster to read precisely than the analog gauge

IMG_3043.jpg

I tested it on a rally this morning and it hold up up real nicely in spirited driving or rough roads.

PS: You need a phone that either has a Magsafe ring or you can simply add one on your current phone

IMG_3031.jpg

Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
PS: Here is the battery pack I decided on:

That link looks weird but that's how the share option on amazon compacts them these days I guess...
You could also do a search for:

Euker Wireless Portable Charger 10000mAh Magnetic Power Bank PD 20W Mag-Safe Battery Pack with LED Display and Foldable Stand for iPhone 14/13/12​

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
If I am driving in an area with strict speed limit, I just use one of the GPS speedometer apps which are much faster to read precisely than the analog gauge
Have you discovered any particular GPS speedo app that you like best? There seem to be quite a few to choose from.
I tested it on a rally this morning and it hold up up real nicely in spirited driving or rough roads.
It's been awhile now, is the "foot" still holding up?

What kind of run time does the external battery provide? I'd imagine it would be more than enough for a whole day's worth of driving even if you were running a map and maybe streaming music.

Thanks,

Dan

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Have you discovered any particular GPS speedo app that you like best? There seem to be quite a few to choose from.

It's been awhile now, is the "foot" still holding up?

What kind of run time does the external battery provide? I'd imagine it would be more than enough for a whole day's worth of driving even if you were running a map and maybe streaming music.

Thanks,

Dan
Terribly sorry for the late reply, Dan. The foot is holding up extremely well. I am really happy with the way it came out. At this point, I would not change a thing. If I had to make more, I would definitely think of doing a 3D printed one.

I have tried a few GPS speedo apps a couple of years ago but haven’t really settled on one of them to be honest. I need to do more investigation there. The most important thing is to find one that has a style that matches the rest of the instruments and that is as bare bones as possible. The one shown in that picture is called, creatively enough, “speedometer“ by Mikrasya

Battery runtime is excellent. To the point where I can’t really say how long it is because I’ve never had it go all the way to zero. But it certainly allows the phone to run in Maps mode (which is very demanding on the battery) for most of the day. I would then recharge the battery at night.

One issue to keep in mind, and this apparently is quite common with wireless charging, is that the phone (or at least mine which is an iPhone XR, several years old) is that the phone does get p retty warm after a while. But that doesn’t really affect anything. I don’t know if that is still an issue with the more recent versions.

Last edited:

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
UPDATE: I finally took the plunge and decided to get my 3D printing setup going. Having a lot of experience in computer modeling from my work in the movie business, it was a fairly easy transition to make. I modeled a version of the prototype described above in the computer and have been testing a few versions. I added a cutout for the wood "separators" which will increase stability. I also added the e9 coupe emblem on the back. (it is a much simplified version because there is not much space there). Here are a few photos.

Again, the advantages are that it works with any phone that can charge via MagSafe (although I have only tested it with an iPhone XR), because it uses a battery pack as the "holder", you don't have any need for wires hanging on your dash, and it is a "drop in place" setup so you can drop it in when you go for a drive and take it out when you are showing the car

It takes quite a long time to print but f there is any interest I will make it available for purchase.
IMG_3514.jpeg

IMG_0634.jpeg
IMG_0618.jpeg
IMG_0615.jpeg