Cylinder head replacement

chope97

Reaction score
My 73 auto which I have owned for 4 years and it has been an amazing trip of discovering then correcting problems all while driving the car once a week. Some of the early issues were mix-matched front seats belts neither from a BMW (and they did not work). Passenger side BMW mirror drivers side Pep Boys mirror, and on and on. Fast forward March 2021 my friend and I decided to replace the cylinder, actually my friend who is a retired BMW tech and worked on these cars for a living suggest we switch in my parts car head which looks brand new. My current head has worn cam lobes and some antifreeze leakage. What we found doing this process, timing chain cover bolts were too long so somebody cut them to fit, camshaft sprocket bolts were too long almost touching the cam, exhaust manifolds were missing three nuts, head bolts some were loose some were tight. The Carbs leakage rod was bowed. My friend knew so many little things that needed to be done like making sure the starter transmission mating service was nice and shiny as it provides a ground. Putting oil in the timing chain tensioner. Another problem was the locating dowels on block were missing so when we took the bolts out of the old head it stated to slide off the block (parts car provided parts). The last problem we are working on is the bracket that holds the alternator and power steering pump to the block is broke. To take this bracket off the engine you have to remove the crank pulley because there is one bolt behind it holding the bracket in place. My friend likes to clean and paint as we go along so the engine nays looks was better. The great news is we should be starting the car this week.

chope97

Reaction score
We got everything back together fixed up and cleaned up the engine compartment along the way. The car had a Delco Remy alternator with broken brackets that caused the power steering and alternator not to be in alignment. Now all that is fixed and the car drives very nice, better idle and more power. Amazing. Next is the front suspension