daily driver

During the spring and summer months I drive my coupe all the time, minus those trips to safeway (door dings) and late night drives. I have gotten super confident in my cars reliability even on hot days. Just keep an eye on the fluids, and temp gauge and don't defer any maintenance and you should be fine.

In America no problem, i think.

In Austria the gas price is 1,28 Euro for one litre, in germany 1,48 Euro.

! thats more than 2 $ for one litre! :shock:

You pay 1.77/gallon, thats 0.46/litre

Orangener - we are catching up! In Maryland I pay $3.20 for 91 octane; still lower but the gap is closing!

I live in Charleston, South Carolina and I drive mine almost every day. I have twin Webers and a five speed conversion. With those modifications, it is a very pleasant everyday driver. I get at least one compliment a week on what a great car it is.

Drive that car.

5,132 miles from this summer including a 1700 mile trip to the coast. Roughly mid April to November with the odd sunny winter day if the roads are bare. One blown fuse (fuel pump) that took 2 minutes to replace. I don't drive every day but I drive it often and have no doubt it wouldn't be a problem.

It really depends on the individual car in terms of reliability but brakes and mechanicals are pretty bullet proof. Electricals can be sorted and generally are short related.
My only limit would be weather - no snow and generally try to keep it dry.

Once I was done with the mechanicals, and I fixed problems of my own causing, the car has been pretty reliable. It is largely little things, like the heater blower motor, and electrical shorts. The actual drivetrain has been, so far, excellent. The car has never failed to start, and has driven pretty well.

Once I close it up with all the seals, it should be good to go. Now, I just need some place to store it.

Here in northern california wine country I drive everyday that it's not raining. I have a great mechanic to keep it running strong, parts are always available one way or another and I get to meet a lot of people that tell me about their car stories. The whole point is to drive this car, after all isn't that what it's all about?

On nice days throughout the year

I either drive my coupe or my 2002. My commute to my office now is only 4 miles with no parking problems, so I am more inclined to drive it more and more in the future.

419a4e01b5e8080c9498be746c8ea90d.jpg

nf
'70 2800CS
'73 2002

Some do's and don't's of....

driving your coupe on a fairly regular basis.

Do's:

Bask in the glow of driving one if BMW's greatest design triumphs.

Expect thumbs up and compliments from motorists and people alike.

Expect fellow drivers to tailgate, and pull along side you muttering to themselves, that's one beautiful car and what the heck is it.

Drive the heck out of it, liked the way the coupe was design to do.

Swap in a Getrag 265 OD 5 speed(more relaxed highway cruising).

Pack some spare fuses of various appropriate amps in car (it may save you from being stucked in the middle of nowhere).

Pick up tons of girls(if no significant others of course, girls love this car).

Don't's:

Never drive the coupe in the rain or even drizzles.

If you encounter a wet or damp road, head the other way or take detour (be afraid, real afraid, if you see water-run for your life).

Never hose your car down in washing your car(instead give it a sponge bath and a trickle rinse).

Never run it through a carwash machine(you and your coupe will be sorry).

Never drive your car on dirt roads as much dirt will be deposited into the
rear of front wheel well areas. This is done by the tires kicking actions. The CS contains many hidden cavities (mixed with water by any means, it will become a muddy disaster, facilitating guaranteed rust issues).

As you can probably see, the only pitfall of the CS coupe is rust, rust and more rust, you can't totally eliminate the tin cancer, but you can try to contain it to a minimum. Last advice, enjoy your coupe. Pure driving pleasures and eye candy both at the same time.

Bert
72 3.5 CSi
88 M6

I drive my old girl everyday - a real joy to me and also a lot of other motorists. Always carry a soft towel - if you get caught in the rain - inevitable sometimes dry it down asap and ensure your carpets get some air - leaking is a fact of life but bearable if you get on to it quick - IMHO.
I use the car in city traffic and always ensure it gets quality fuel 98 RON (in AUS) at 1/4 of a tank. Take it for a blast each weekend and freshen her up - she will appreciate it and so will you.
Use a quality dry wash and soft clothes regularly - you'll get to know your car cosmetically and its faults intimately - for me cleaning the old girl is very relaxing... cranking up the stereo
Make sure your rubbers are good - windows,boots,bonnets,door seals are available and recommend anything dodgy is replaced.
I made the decision to restore my car to a point where I could still drive it, park it , enjoy it without worrying too much...it will never be concourse but damn I will have some fun.

Back