DC Area 72 COUPE: SOLD!!!

Ian Larsen

Reaction score
THIS CAR HAS BEEN SOLD. THANKS, EVERYONE.

Ian

NEW PRICE: $12,000

Photos are here: http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s65/IanLarsen71/1972E9/

Ugh. I'm not anxious to do this, but I'm doing it anyway. After four years of fun with my coupe, I'm afraid the sad day has come.

The car is located in Alexandria, VA, about two miles south of Reagan National Airport. It's a 72 CS, baikal blue with blue leather, weber carbs and Nardi wheel. Other than that, it's completely stock.

The car is not an A+ example, but I think it's solidly in the B to B+ range. It's always been very reliable and has no major issues to be addressed.

It had a high quality paint job in the early 90s that's still in great shape, although there are a few cracks from the previous owner and a few rust bubbles in the doors and the fenders. No structural rust on this car, though, and no new rust has appeared while I've owned it. It's never had an accident.

The interior is in great shape, including original leather. No cracks in the dash. The original carpet is somewhat worn and could stand to be replaced, but otherwise the interior shows very well.

Mechanically, it's very good as well. Doesn't leak or burn oil or leak any other fluids, for that matter. Getrag four speed and differential are also both very smooth. I have all receipts since 2001. A partial list of the mechanical work done during the last five years includes:

New alternator
New front suspension
Replaced front and rear brake pads and brake lines
Replaced shifter bushings
Replaced engine mounts
Replaced transmission mount
New thermostat
New tires
Replaced differential mounting rail and differential mount
Replaced guibo
Replaced rear transmission and shifter rail seals
Replaced front section of exhaust
Replaced both rear halfshafts
Replaced differential side seals

The rear suspension is a bit soft, but it's never been a big enough issue for me to consider replacing it. It could probably use a few new bushings here and there, but overall the car is very drivable, and I've never been reluctant to take it anywhere.

A number of the other DC area guys have seen this car at shows and informal drives and may be able to give some independent comments on its general condition. Tom Baruch at London Automotive in Falls Church, VA has been doing the maintenance over the last few years, so he knows it, too, and would probably weigh in if asked. (Tom is highly regarded in the DC area coupe community and works on probably a dozen local coupes.)

I'm finding that pricing coupes is a real PITA. Like anyone else, I want to see a fair price, but I don't want to overprice. I want to represent it as accurately as possible, but we all know that prices can vary widely. With that said, I'm taking my cues from NADA and Manheim's Gold Book.

NADA currently lists the following values;

low: $8050
average: $14,050
high: $19,400

Manheim lists the following:

good: $11,600
excellent: $22,000
show: $28,000

So, I'VE DROPPED THE PRICE FROM $14,000 TO $12,000. I think anyone who's seen it would say my car is a better-than-average example. Considering what I've learned over the last four years, I feel confident that a savvy owner who doesn't just throw dollars around could strategically invest $8,000 in this car to bring it into the very good/excellent range and not lose money, considering current valuations.

If a local buyer wanted to get the cosmetic rust fixed, I can recommend a body shop in the Shenandoah Valley that did an extraordinary job on my E28 for $4000 last year, including euro bumper conversion and full respray. Minor bodywork and respray alone would be in the $2500 range, and the quality really is exceptional. They specialize in older BMWs, and I know Tom Baruch recently had them spray a coupe he's restoring with very good results.

Please contact me with questions at IanLarsen71 at yahoo dot com.

Photos are here: http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s65/IanLarsen71/1972E9/

Thanks.

Ian