Detailing your e9!!!!

e9coupe

Reaction score
I'd like to cover proper detailing of you E9.

So as you know Pre-1980's cars had no clear coat. No protection.
Paint can really get beat up, even when left outside. Clear coats protect the paint.

Detailing a car (E9) without a clear coat is much different then detailing a car with one.

You can damage the paint if not done right. E9's have Acrylic Enamel paint.

Results can be downright amazing if done right..The reason is you put the oils back in the paint, clear coats hold them in.

Note go easy on all sharp edges facing up you can litterally take the paint off (roof lines fenders trunk).

Clean the interior first!

Step 1 Wash all wheels inner fenders carefully under fenders under truck (the really dirty areas first) You can use either car was soap NXT or mild watered down dish soap to strip the grease or wax.

Step 2 I steam clean the engine and spray shine.

Step 3 wash entire car with meguires NXT car wash 1-2 times cleaner the better, I usually clean all the windows with a straight edge razor with water and soap. gets everything off

Step 4 Clay car ( i use magic clay) lube up or wet car good doing one section at a time 3x3. Turn clay to clean , make sure to not drop it or get anything on it, make sure also to keep the surface lubed or wet to prevent any damage.

Step 5 wash car and dry real well not in sun so theres no water spots.

Step 6 tape car with blue painters tape, tape under hood , under truck, around trim all places wax can hide

Step 7 if your cars paint is really damaged warn of Scratched Use meguires M83 1-2 passes with an orbital buffer. wipe off (skip this is paint is not damaged) yellow polishing pad.

Step 8 use m80 meguires 2 passes with orbital buffer and wipe off (skip to this if paint is good)yellow polishing pad.

Step 9 Use m#20 with a finishing pad 2 coats by hand or buffer. To seal eveything in.

Step 10 dress tires, clean windows with newspaper and windex. Remove tape and dress trim.

This is usually around 6 hours.

A professional detail like this is $400. at my shop

Thats the way to do it.

Questions just PM me and I'm happy to help.

How many times can you do that before the clear starts getting worn? I have an original paint E36 m3 in Cosmos Black that could use a Pro polishing.

How many times can you do that before the clear starts getting worn? I have an original paint E36 m3 in Cosmos Black that could use a Pro polishing.

Hey that line up is for cars with no clear coat in your case follow the same steps

Use different products
Wash and clay exactly the same
Instead of m83
Use zymol polish glaze
Then use turtle wax black caniuba to fix scratches
Then use zymol hard paste wax to seal it in

Or try the turtle wax black box

Cosmos black has no sparkle right

If it has sparkle use glaze then a hard paste wax

M7 meguires then zymol polish then zymol hard paste wax
In a really bad case I would wet sand 3000 grit the clear coat but it's better you don't try it

Cosmos has sparkle in it. Schwarz Black does not. I have been claying my cars yearly, then I usually use Meguiars polish followed by NXT. Seems to work well enough, but most importantly is easy. I have hand washed my M3 since I bought it 7 years ago, but if you look at it under certain light you can see a lot of small swirls and scratches. Waxing seems to set it straight but not for that long. Last Black car I ever own.

You have to glaze it , I would also use a tinted black caniuba wax I would use zymol go back and forth not circles

Yes, always straight lines as the car moves through the air, never circles. Zymol HD cleanse works great for light oxidation, then wax. When using the black or red Zymol (I use both), wear nitrile, polyurethane or latex gloves.

E-9 detailing

e9 coupe said ("So as you know Pre-1980's cars had no clear coat.")

While a somewhat correct statement--in fact many E-9's from the first to the last of US imported E-9's had clearcoats including all--Nacht Blau, Tiaga, Polaris Silver, Sienna Braun and a number of others were all clear-coated.

e9 coupe said ("So as you know Pre-1980's cars had no clear coat.")

While a somewhat correct statement--in fact many E-9's from the first to the last of US imported E-9's had clearcoats including all--Nacht Blau, Tiaga, Polaris Silver, Sienna Braun and a number of others were all clear-coated.

WOW I did not know that!!!! thanks thats really advanced 2 stage paint in the 70's

Here's how to test for a clear coat: (very important)

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forum...for-a-clear-coat-or-single-stage-paint-system

Coupes with clearcoat---

To the best of my recollction--All metallic paints on E-9's were an extra cost factory option and all wore clearcoats.

Pre1980 BMW Clearcoat

The clearcoats on the early BMWs were very poor quality. I had a 1974 2002 with polaris paint (admittedly parked outside) and the clearcoat flaked and came off (also common on fjord blue and sienna brown). Indeed BMW had an action where they paid 50% of the repaint for clear coat cars. I would be surprised if any 1970-1975 BMW had its original clear coat paint unless it was garaged, covered and rarely driven outdoors (not much fun driving indoors).

Melamine Paints

One reason that 70's Furrin' cars paint would deteriorate after a few years was that they used melamine based products. They proved unsuitable in climates with large daily temperature fluctuations. As in many parts of Kahleefornia, where 40 degree difference night and day is not that uncommon. We had a '77 Lancia Beta sedan, resplendent in silver clearcoat. But after only 3 years the cracks appeared and eventually all the top surfaces were shot. Nobody immune, including Hondas and virtually all European cars. By 1980 they had the problem resolves. At least that's my story.....anybody else?

Back