DeTomaso Longchamp on BAT

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
So, this 1974 Italian Coupe looks a lot like an Italian version of a BMW E9 Coupe. What do you think?
But it is powered by a 351 Ford V8 engine. Made me think. I have a 1978 Ford F250 pickup, with a 351M engine , could this be my next project?
Screenshot 2024-09-13 at 7.22.27 PM.png

Certainly, the comparison between these 2 cars is very interesting.
The E9's interior is hushed, comfortable and “civilized” (even for the ears).
The DeTomaso is beastly and much more powerful, and it would be a shame to choke the engine with an exhaust.

Nice car, Maserati was sold to Detomaso and thus influenced the Maserati line...
At Concorso Italiano the Detomaso's attract lots of interest, mostly the Pantera model, which interestingly was cheaper in 1972 than the E9. Sold at Ford/Mercury dealers.
Killed, like many other things, by the 1973 oil embargo. Worth a lot if you want to buy one today.

love the look of the pantera - always have. i would consider buying one if i actually fit in the car. i have to sit in a funny position to keep my head away from the roof ... or pull the seat way forward so i could angle the seat back really far ... neither are really comfortable for me.

Unusual car but I too fail to see similarities to e9. It is very Ferrari 400 or Maserati biturbo to me. Where the e9 is all graceful curves this is all angles. Big c pillars, flat back. Not that I dislike it, just don't see the comparison.

Beautiful car for sure although maybe not exactly this one. More like "beautiful model". I'd go more for the boring look, with bumpers, without flared wheelarches, trim chromed instead of black and so on.
As @Arde says, De Tomaso owned Maserati then. If I remember correctly the Maserati Kyalami was essentially the same as the Longchamp, only differently badged.
The Longchamp's rear lights seem to be an Italian standard model. Later Ghiblis wear the same or nearly the same ones, and so does the Alfa Romeo Berlina 2000. Not sure about the Montreal.

The Kialami must have Maserati engine
Tout vrai, ma faute. Maserati had their own nice engines. Would have been a shame not to use them. The Kyalami used either the 4.2 litre Tipo AM 107.21.42 or the 4.9 litre Tipo AM 107.23.49. How I love these heavy books in my tiny library. Don't know about the differences between engine types, though.
It seems the two models had a lot in common but were not identical. An early Kyalami looks a little different from the rear. My apologies.

Back