Diesel swap?

PaulinPa

Reaction score
Saw an ad in Phillly paper for a 85 524TD and was wondering,just for the sake of discussion,how hard it would be to put a diesel in a coupe?I know WHY would you want to do it,but with all the new interest in diesels and bio fuels it might be a way to enjoy being able to still drive a coupe in the gas starved future?(Gas went up 20cents in last 10 days!)

comparing prices of fuel in US and EU, here price jumped 1dollar during 10 last years. So you still have cheap petrol. I would rather wait with something like diesel swap and even if :evil: surely not old diesel lump like this. I would rather wait for dropping the price of E85 bio-Ethanol.
It is giving more power than any other petrol actually it has 107 octane rating. To run on this you have to change fuel linnings for top quality, stronger ones and replace a tank with plastic lined. This fuel is more corrosive than usual petrol. Also a mix 85% of E85 and 15% of petrol will help ignite the engine from cold. And finally you can go green as ever.

The 524D engine is, if I recall right, M20 based, so you'd have to swap out an E28 subframe and use the motor mounts/etc associated with it, unless you wanted to go custom.

Back