Differential refill

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
So, it is relatively easy to drain a differential of its oil, but how do I get new oil into that difficult to reach access hole? Tubes, pumps, rotisserie?? What have you used? Any advice appreciated. Thanks. Mike

same way as i do tranny - funnel with long hose attached to it, clamped with some long nose vice grips about 2" from end, have a helper pour in oil, stick hose in diff opening, release vice grips until it fills up and starts to dribble out the hole then re-clamp.

i use a small (1 liter) plastic bottle from castrol that ends in a long and narrow tube (aprox 8mm in diameter), i put a 60cm long transparent hose fixed to the tube, i insert the hose into the differential lateral refilling hole and put the bottle upside down and press it with my hands until flush

Don, I use the professional model!

Attachments

• IMG_1363.JPG
    IMG_1363.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 139
ooh a photo of a proven pump. great. I have looked at some simple pumps but wondered if they could move the more viscous gear oil. Nice to have a reference. DeQ, you have reminded me I may have that same Castrol bottle somewhere. Have to look for that. I guess the key here is to not try this operation when temperature low. Mike

Another benefit of living in sunny California.
We keep our snow in the mountains where it belongs.

Back