Distributors

nealf

Reaction score
Hello again: My '70 2800CS has some sort of funky distributor called a Roto Faze, with a Motorcraft cap. It has recently started to run and miss very badly and I have traced it to a bad cap and all contact points in the cap getting whacked by the rotor. Also in the top of the cap(center) the little "button" no longer depresses and does not make good contact with the clip on the top of the rotor. It is completely worn down.

In any event, I wanted to explore the idea of a stock distributor, but I am not sure if the motor is a 3 liter, or 2.8. Are there 2 different distributors for these cars or are they the same? Thanks. Where can I source a distributor as well? Thanks for the help.

nf

'70 2800cs
'73 2002

p.s. By the way if anyone read my post about the ebrake housing breaking away, I welded it last night and it is holding fine for now...

corsachili

Reaction score
My suggestion is to either look for a NOS original (which will be LONG cash) or move to a modified 528i unit. Dave at Classic EuroAsian in Oroville can do one for you, they cost about $400 and are worth it in my opinion. The non-injected distributors are not as finicky as the injected units but any distributor that's 30 years old and which has hundreds of thousands of miles on it will be worn, perhaps past the point of use. $400, while a lot of money, is a great solution to this problem. There's a minor amount of rewiring necessary, but nothing too painful.

Good luck!

PS-RotoFaze? Seriously?