Does anyone know of a 3.64 lsd for sale?

daicos35

Site Donor $
Reaction score
i need an LSD, might take any ratio lsd , and purchase a 3.64 crown and pinion, then rebuild, but this is not ideal (cost wise)

pj

Reaction score
I have a whole rear end inn my parts car , when are you looking at getting a unit, It is /was a 73 csi euro so probably a 3.25 lsd.

I am Located in Santa Cruz

Cheers
PJ

daicos35

Site Donor $
Reaction score
PJ,
I would buy the unit now. If it is an lsd, how much would you want for it?
(p.s , you can tell if it is lsd either by looking for a white "s" painted on the case , and or by trying to twist one shaft in the opposite direction to the other)
Thx Mike

pj

Reaction score
sounds great, e-mail me offline and we can get it going, as a side note I am not a dealer , trader ,breaker . All proceeds are going back into my 73 csi namely the turbo 3.5 motor.

pj

Reaction score
id #'s for my lsd are as follows
9 bmw m
3D 75

any info on ratios would be appreciated

cheers
PJ

x_atlas0

Reaction score
If you want a very easy way to test the ratio, just turn the input shaft once and have someone else watch how many times the output flanges rotate. Should be 3.25 or about 3.5, since the available ratios are 3.25 and 3.45. I am having a bit of trouble matching the part number to the online ETK, but I will try to match them with some ancient microfilm ETKs I happened to come across. Now, I just need to find a good magnifying glass or someplace other than university that actually has a microfilm reader.

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A few notes --

1. On every sideloader, there is a flat machined on the right side of the case below the output flange. The ring and pinion numbers are stamped in this flat, giving you the ratio with certainty. 38 and 11 = 3.45, 40 and 11 = 3.64, 39 and 12 = 3.25.

2. On early LSD's there is no white "S" -- the "S" is stamped in the case, on the right side above the flat where the ring and pinion tooth counts are stamped. The "S" is about 1/2" and may be sideways, angled, or upright (probably indicates whether Horst assembled it before or after lunch...)

3. The numbers cast in the case of the diff are not part numbers, they are casting part numbers. They will not help you identify the ratio, and you'll never find them in the parts book, microfische or ETK.

4. Given the age of most sideloader diffs, the "twist test" is unreliable. Most of the LSD units are only 25% lock, and once the clutches wear it's easy to turn them opposite.

350manx

Reaction score
daicos35 said:
Does anyone know of a 3.64 lsd for sale? thx mike

Mike,
Did you end up getting one of these? I recently bought one and from what I can gather they may have come out in the E12 four cylinder cars.
David.

daicos35

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I eventually did, I got a 3.25 lsd out of a six series, and a 3.64 regular out of an e3, Given the lsd needed a rebuild, simply swapped the ratio and built it.
The 3.64 was 200 Australian dollars, the lsd 900 australian dollars, the rebuild to my higher than standard lock (40%) cost 700 aud, expensive process, but the single best thing I have done for performance with my e9.
Perfectly geared to the 5 speed od box, and handling through corners is improved out of sight.

350manx

Reaction score
An obvious Pies supporter!!
I swapped the 3.08 LSD (sideloader) out of my early 635 yesterday and put in the 3.64 LSD and you are right about the matching with the overdrive 5 speed as I have that in the car as well and it's just great.
My problem now is trying the determine my speed. I have M5 wheels with 235/40/17 tyres and I have no idea of my speed but the old girl has a bit of fire in the belly now!
I sort of have the 3.08 put aside for the E9 at a later stage with a switchable 4 speed auto for my 'quieter' touring years!
David.

daicos35

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Daid,

http://www.seniorsix.org/e3info/speedcalc.html

This website above will give you your speed, if you have the 265/5 od box 5th is .8, 4th is 1, at 2450 with your wheels you are 100 kph. I did not realize you were here in melbourne, easy to pick a pies man if you know the lingo!!

are you involved with any of the coupe clubs down here?
speak soon, Mike

350manx

Reaction score
Mike,
Not in Melbourne - up in the North East in the high country. Got the details of a speedo recalibration service in Ringwood from Matt Phillips off the CS registry so I should be able to sort that out.
Not in the BM club in Melbourne - use to be but distance meant I couldn't take advantage of events etc. In the Riverina Sports Car Club, Winton and the Historic Motorcycle Racing Association of Victoria (HMRAV) and race an old Norton in the historics (in pieces at the moment after a not insignificant blow up!)
Cheers David.