Does anyone know this CS on Ebay?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
The seller knows about rusted out floorboards but does not disclose anything in the auction. Nothing new I suppose, but I hate to see unsuspecting buyers get surprised. If you look closely at the floorboard pics you can see the drain area hanging down.

Anyway, be careful out there! :|

chicane

Reaction score
dang said:
The seller knows about rusted out floorboards but does not disclose anything in the auction. Nothing new I suppose, but I hate to see unsuspecting buyers get surprised. If you look closely at the floorboard pics you can see the drain area hanging down.

Anyway, be careful out there! :|

Where is the link?

x_atlas0

Reaction score
That car is about as European as Mexican food. It has all the external identifiers as a US model.

Plus, they removed the tool kit! Why would they do that?

TILLA

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm not so sure, it has cloth upholstery, the speedo is in kph, the rear view mirror is set forward which I have only seen on Euro models, and the heater controls are the Euro version.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
I'm not so sure, it has cloth upholstery, the speedo is in kph, the rear view mirror is set forward which I have only seen on Euro models, and the heater controls are the Euro version.

The heater controls are indeed in the "international" style, but I thought that was the way all the 2800CS-es were. As for the speedo, yeah, I don't know about that either. The cloth interior is not the OEM cloth, however. It has been redone, as the OEM cloth has grey sides on both the front and rear. So, who knows, it may have once been leather. Who knows, perhaps this car was federalized and they added all the reflectors and whatnot. But if that was the case, the kph speedo would have been replaced as well.

TILLA

Site Donor
Reaction score
Having studied many Euro coupes imported to the US and Canada and owning one myself I can state that there is consistent inconsistency. The US and Canadian headlight laws are virtually identical - I believed that they were drawn up at the same time with both countries working together, as far as "federalizing" a car there can be broad interpretation since there are no specifics for each and every car and what was needed depending on the year it was imported; For instance my car had rear sidelights installed but not the front reflector, and instead of replacing the front turn signal assembly with a sidelight / turn signal they drilled a hole in the housing and stuck another bulb socket in. Lastly, I'm not sure what agency would have certified the cars but I'm sure that each individual would have had their own idea of what was needed (and maybe a few palms were greased).

MichaelP

Reaction score
The euro thing: Mr. Hoffman preferred his coupes with leather or vinyl and air conditioning. The lack of those two things suggests it may have been a grey market car.

Second, it's a pretty klutzy renovation. My favorite item is the backwards turn signal lenses. They make an appealing gap at the leading edge. The spray job in the engine bay really covers absolutelyfrigging everything, including the vin plate. They didn't even bother removing the hood seal.

In the shot beneath the car, the floors worry me less than the profile of what's going on along the rocker. Prospective buyers ought to take those covers off.

TILLA

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have to chuckle, we sound like a bunch of old crones gossiping about one of our own who's just out of earshot :mrgreen:

John H.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good representation though

I must say that the guy went to some trouble to photograph his car. More pictures then I have seen on most ebay sites. Although he has a bit to learn on how to shoot the engine..... Hope his reserve is reasonable around $5k.

pj

Reaction score
I like the white coupe on ebay , I think the reserve for this one will be in the high teens low 20's. Looks tidy and well set up. If you have the $ I would say it's worth a look

PJ