does anyone run their coupe without the brake booster?

I've ran mine a few times with the vacuum line disconnected while doing some tuning. It works but I would not recommend it for any amount of time.

You have to apply the brakes at least 3 times harder than any normal feel for any type of brake.

So I have to agree with the previous post if your thinking about trying to do away with it.

I'm going to assume you are looking for advice on running non-assisted brakes, not just disconnecting the brake booster.

The e9 is not a particularly heavy car, so it should not be a big deal to remove the brake assist. Depending on how much pedal effort you want, it might be worth considering a brake master cylinder with a slightly larger piston/displacement. Also, you'll need some kind of adapter to mount the master to the firewall, as the booster mounts with four bolts and the master with only two. Having the master located in approximately the original position will avoid kinks and problems with the brake lines.

All that said, properly maintained e9 brakes with boost have great pedal feel and excellent stopping power, so there's not much of an argument for giving up boosted brakes. If you're going to turbo the engine you'll have limited vacuum available, but then you may want a vacuum pump, as boosted brakes will be a welcome feature when you're trying to burn off the speed of a powerful engine.

Hey a vacuum pump I would be interested in! But the only one I have been able to come up with is a big bulky unit I found at summitracing. Looks okay if I was going to use it in a Mustang but not for the coupe.

Any suggestions?

Some of the old race cars had boosters (like for endurance races 6hours plus), but most of the time they ran without brake assist. My BTC E3 has standard non-assist and it's not all that bad, but then I've never had it on a braking track like Sear for 6 hours at a time either!

Take the advice of the others, fugget aboutit!

I had a problem with the check valve in the booster vacuum line when I first got my coupe. After filling the booster full of brake fluid the car start smoking like you wouldn't believe (through the intake manifold). I disconnected the vacuum line and drove the car home from where it started smoking (and a few other places afterwards) and the brakes were very similar to driving with the booster connected. I've driven cars with assisted brakes that didn't work near as well as the coupe without assist.

Dan

Back