Dogleg gearboxes

sprintevo

Reaction score
I am looking for a 5 speed dogleg 1st gear motorsport gearbox for my replica Group 2 racecar. I am running a 3.5 engine. From reading past threads there seems to be some confusion and I have seen a few for sale. I have already bought a 5 speed 265 overdrive box in error having been told it is a dogleg box, the dogleg is on 5th gear and not 1st

What part number am should I be looking for, as I may have found one a 260 0 1302 91 described as a motorsport box from an E24 - the bellhousing is integral with the gearbox and it fits the M30 big six - is this the one I need

sprintevo

Reaction score
I am looking for a 5 speed dogleg 1st gear motorsport gearbox for my replica Group 2 racecar. I am running a 3.5 engine. From reading past threads there seems to be some confusion and I have seen a few for sale. I have already bought a 5 speed 265 overdrive box in error having been told it is a dogleg box, the dogleg is on 5th gear and not 1st

What part number am should I be looking for, as I may have found one a 260 0 1302 91 described as a motorsport box from an E24 - the bellhousing is integral with the gearbox and it fits the M30 big six - is this the one I need

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
You don't want a 260, they are not a strong as the 265s. Have you checked with the E30 M3 guys. Some of them use a close ratio version of the 265.

I didn't know that there was a "motorsport" version of the 265. A lot of the non-US E24 635s and some E23 735s used a close ratio (dogleg) 5 speed and they show up used here in the US occasionally.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
You don't want a 260, they are not a strong as the 265s. Have you checked with the E30 M3 guys. Some of them use a close ratio version of the 265.

I didn't know that there was a "motorsport" version of the 265. A lot of the non-US E24 635s and some E23 735s used a close ratio (dogleg) 5 speed and they show up used here in the US occasionally.

shanon

Reaction score
I have heard similar tales of the CR boxes being weaker, but feel that it depends ultimately on the box's condition and your horsepower.

I have a CR box (don't know the number, sorry,...uh, is it 262 maybe?) in my coupe and have had absolutely no issues with it at all and believe I'm making solid power (nothing crazy) with a pro-built, very purposeful 3.3L. With the UUC shifter kit and LSD, its an awesome set-up...and I have thrashed her about. My friends here can testify...

My brother's racer uses a 5spd OD box and has 275hp at the wheels (dyno verified). However, he had to go with a trick race clutch set-up 'cuz he BLEW through the 3 new stock clutches (they lasted only a couple of laps!) before we arrived that stock clutch was too weak.

I have raced with the 5 spd OD box and have to say the 2 to 3rd gear is too long & tall coming out of the corners, and having the CR in my car (installed by a PO), I love it.

I look at it like this, if your doing a lot of hwy miles, the OD is the ticket. If you are setting up a track car or something more sporting for the twisties, the CR will be a quicker set-up (if you can find one).

Maybe some other CR folks here can share their experiences.
PJ's ol' coupe (recently sold) had a CR box too, anybody else running one?

HTH and this is just my humble opinion having driven both in anger.

-shanon

shanon

Reaction score
I have heard similar tales of the CR boxes being weaker, but feel that it depends ultimately on the box's condition and your horsepower.

I have a CR box (don't know the number, sorry,...uh, is it 262 maybe?) in my coupe and have had absolutely no issues with it at all and believe I'm making solid power (nothing crazy) with a pro-built, very purposeful 3.3L. With the UUC shifter kit and LSD, its an awesome set-up...and I have thrashed her about. My friends here can testify...

My brother's racer uses a 5spd OD box and has 275hp at the wheels (dyno verified). However, he had to go with a trick race clutch set-up 'cuz he BLEW through the 3 new stock clutches (they lasted only a couple of laps!) before we arrived that stock clutch was too weak.

I have raced with the 5 spd OD box and have to say the 2 to 3rd gear is too long & tall coming out of the corners, and having the CR in my car (installed by a PO), I love it.

I look at it like this, if your doing a lot of hwy miles, the OD is the ticket. If you are setting up a track car or something more sporting for the twisties, the CR will be a quicker set-up (if you can find one).

Maybe some other CR folks here can share their experiences.
PJ's ol' coupe (recently sold) had a CR box too, anybody else running one?

HTH and this is just my humble opinion having driven both in anger.

-shanon

M5dCS

Reaction score
I've got a dogleg behind my 91 M5 engine in a 2800cs , the dogleg has a smaller forward countershaft bearing than the OD box, so everyone calls this the weak point. Otherwise it's a better gearbox, the syncro rings are solid brass rather than that moly filled stuff, and in 5th the power goes straight through the mainshaft, putting less side force on the countershaft and therefore making it quieter. I'd really recommend 3.25 or 3.07 rearend gears if you're going to road drive it. Have fun, Leroy

M5dCS

Reaction score
I've got a dogleg behind my 91 M5 engine in a 2800cs , the dogleg has a smaller forward countershaft bearing than the OD box, so everyone calls this the weak point. Otherwise it's a better gearbox, the syncro rings are solid brass rather than that moly filled stuff, and in 5th the power goes straight through the mainshaft, putting less side force on the countershaft and therefore making it quieter. I'd really recommend 3.25 or 3.07 rearend gears if you're going to road drive it. Have fun, Leroy

pj

Reaction score
As Shanon said I had a dog in mine , I never had any real big problems with the box, only the linkages snapping.which was a PITA. I had a 3.25 lsd and the old girl hooked up real nice. i would do it again

pj

Reaction score
As Shanon said I had a dog in mine , I never had any real big problems with the box, only the linkages snapping.which was a PITA. I had a 3.25 lsd and the old girl hooked up real nice. i would do it again

bmm635

Reaction score
dogleg box

Hi i have used dogleg boxes in my BMWs over the years with no problems as long as they are maintained and precise changes they are OK, currently my 635 with modified motor with near 390 bhp gets an absolute workout and has hung in there for 34.000 klms, this is my preferred box they work for me.

bmm635

Reaction score
dogleg box

Hi i have used dogleg boxes in my BMWs over the years with no problems as long as they are maintained and precise changes they are OK, currently my 635 with modified motor with near 390 bhp gets an absolute workout and has hung in there for 34.000 klms, this is my preferred box they work for me.

maxxfish

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post, and I am hopefully a future E9 owner (I currently race an E46 M3 with BMWCCA, and have owned 2002s, E30 M3s, and MANY more).

Anyway, I think I have a lead on a 265 dogleg trans for you. Any idea what they're worth?

maxxfish

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post, and I am hopefully a future E9 owner (I currently race an E46 M3 with BMWCCA, and have owned 2002s, E30 M3s, and MANY more).

Anyway, I think I have a lead on a 265 dogleg trans for you. Any idea what they're worth?

jrcalvin

Reaction score
cr dogleg

When you see a pic of the dogleg gearbox you can be sure it is a CR if the top 2 bolts for the shift platform are long through bolts with nuts on the backside rather than bolts threaded into the trans case. Looking from the rear, the output shaft has 5-6 Allen head bolts around the output shaft and the OD gear doesn't have any Allen heads around the output shaft. Maybe this will help you identify a CR on your next try for a CR gearbox.

I have a CR in one of my BMWs and two spare CRs gearboxes and one may be available.

jrcalvin

Reaction score
cr dogleg

When you see a pic of the dogleg gearbox you can be sure it is a CR if the top 2 bolts for the shift platform are long through bolts with nuts on the backside rather than bolts threaded into the trans case. Looking from the rear, the output shaft has 5-6 Allen head bolts around the output shaft and the OD gear doesn't have any Allen heads around the output shaft. Maybe this will help you identify a CR on your next try for a CR gearbox.

I have a CR in one of my BMWs and two spare CRs gearboxes and one may be available.