Donor car

indyken46619

Reaction score
All,
I am an active reader of this web site - I have done the e28 window upgrade and I'm interested in trying more - 5 speed trany, brakes, motronics, 9 blade fan etc.

Is there a perfect donor car for all of these items (or close to it) - might be able to save a bundle!!!
Thx,
Ken
72 3.0 CSi 226 0900

Ken
Read in tech info.
carl nelson and devinder have good write ups on all of the in and outs for this project.
I just completed my 5 sp conversion 2 months ago, and these articles and other info gleaned from the group was invaluable. I used a 1980 528i, with low mileage. Got all of the major parts I needed at once.
Do a short shift option while you're at it.
Not difficult to do but lots of parts.
steve

All,
I am an active reader of this web site - I have done the e28 window upgrade and I'm interested in trying more - 5 speed trany, brakes, motronics, 9 blade fan etc.

Is there a perfect donor car for all of these items (or close to it) - might be able to save a bundle!!!
Thx,
Ken
72 3.0 CSi 226 0900

Unfortunately, there really isn't a perfect donor car if you want the best of everything. I'll take it one at a time:
1. 5 speed: I prefer the Getrag 265 over the 260, since it is more robust and has a detachable bellhousing. It also has a mechanical speedo drive already in the early ones.
2. Brakes: brakes are already very good. A good set of pads and some steel lines and you are ready to roll.
3. Motronics: I personally prefer the 1.3 system, so any E32 or E34 7/535
4. Fan: you really don't want to try and get one used. It's like 20$ new from the dealer. You also want to get a new viscous clutch.

Back