door frame trim removal.

dhanna

Reaction score
So loong time no post sorry about that I just finished recovering from a surgery last month and I'm raring to go on the remainder of the disassembly!

here's my build photo log on google photos:

https://goo.gl/photos/9Da5k7VLZdq55kNMA

I'm having trouble removing the trim around the door opening. In particular the shiny trim that holds the headliner in place I haven't been able to quickly locate a post on this any pointers to relevant threads and posts would be much appreciated.

I still haven't figured out how to post photos directly within a post probably because I spend so much time next to the microwave in the break room...

Welcome back! I hope you're feeling well- looks like you are way into that thing. To remove the shiny trim you first have to remove the rubber at the top of the window frame. I put everything together and then did the headliner then realized I have to remove all that stuff to get the headliner trim in there. Bummer, but if I remember correctly it's not too hard.

Good luck-

I'm on the mend thankfully!

so I tried to tug at the rubber but it seems glued on... I'll try to post some pics next week

I'll need some pics as well

First you have to remove the rubber piece that is glued on, then from the front edge peel back the hard rubber piece to reveal the screws, then remove the screws to get the headliner trim off. I can't remember how they go back so please send me a pic when the rubber and plastic comes off yours. Unfortunately you have to remove it because the screws underneath hols in the chrome trim. I hope I don't have to take the drip-rail off (again) :-(

Sorry for the poor quality shots

Attachments

• headliner trim1.jpg
    headliner trim1.jpg
    860.1 KB · Views: 184
  • headliner trim2.jpg
    headliner trim2.jpg
    872 KB · Views: 165
  • headliner trim3.jpg
    headliner trim3.jpg
    946.8 KB · Views: 178
  • headliner trim4.jpg
    headliner trim4.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 157
OK, got it

You have to take the rubber off, the plastic piece off and the chrome (aluminum) piece off to get to the screws that hold the headliner trim on. installation is reverse of the above .... I hope :)

Peter This is Awesome! I didn't know those screws were there! I had wrongly assumed everything was an interference fit yikes!

Thank you so much for your help!

I strongly suggest Wurth glue applied to both sides, let dry for 1 minute then re-affix for the rubber to plastic application. Clean both sides with solvent when they're off the car and cover the seats when you apply the glue to the hard rubber/plastic-like strip. So, to reiterate, after you have the chrome pieces put on, fit in the rubber/plastic-like strip; this requires no glue but has a thin channel then fits around one of the chrome pieces. Once clean and in place coat with Wurth, then coat the adjoining soft rubber piece with Wurth, dry for 1 min and fit as before. You can contact me if you have any difficulties but I'm sure you'll do fine.

Back