Door Glass Removal

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
I've finished and installed my sparkling clean and freshly lubed rear quarter windows and want to do the same with the front driver and passenger power windows. I've already removed, cleaned and lube the regulators and I initially was going to clean the tracks in place - major PIA but probably the easy way to go. But... they are really gummed up and if it isn't suicidal I might remove the glass and the tracks.

The two studs that anchor the track to the regulator arm have to come out. Any tricks to removing them without braking the glass? IT looks like a fibre disc and mastic holds them in place.

Anyone that has removed and replaced the glass with advice?

Thanks,

Doug

jmackro

Reaction score
decoupe:

I've read your question over a few times, but am not sure I understand it.

The fact that no one else has responded suggests that no one else gets it either.

I've had my windows out multiple times, and have never had to deal with anything like "studs that anchor the track to the regulator arm ... fibre disc and mastic". Sorry, just don't know what you are referring to. The arm from the regulator just slides out of the channel riveted to the bottom of the glass. No removal of studs involved.

My car is assembled at the moment, so I can't take a picture that illustrates this assembly. Maybe you will need to post a photo of your problem so that we can understand it.

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Jamkro:

Assuming we are talking about the same track to attach the regulator arm, mine is attached by bolts through the glass.
P1040480.jpg

I couldn't find much info in the Blue Books so proceeded to take things apart starting with the removal of the chrome finish pieces (both interior and exterior) at the top of the door.

I ended up taking the regulator track off, removed the bolts holding the rolling slider bracket assembly to the glass (track closest to the opening side of the door) and the nuts that the assembly to the bracket.
P1040482.jpg

Next I removed the two nuts beside the door lock thing at the top of the track
P1040484.jpg

and the one bolt (the top one) that secures and positions the track at the base and carefully swung the track and slider post towards the front of the car and removed it from the door through the large opening at the lower edge.
P1040483.jpg

The slider at the front runs in a track post that extends to form the trailing edge of the quarter window. The slider itself is just a block of plastic and it and the window just drops out of the track. Is was able to remove the glass out the top with one of the bolts the attach the regulator to the glass still in place.
P1040481.jpg

After it is cleaned (and it was a pretty nasty) the track roller assembly, the track and the plastic slider are ready to install which is where I am right now. The front track was cleaned in place.
P1040485.jpg

P1040486.jpg

P1040487.jpg

My front window was at the point where it had to be pulled up while operating the switch and if this improves the operation as much as servicing the rear quarter windows, I'll be a happy guy.

Doug