Door latch/handle hell

jefflit

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Anyone else had trouble here? I've been fighting the passenger door latch for 3 days now. Driver's side works fine. Passenger has had a variety of issues. First, the handle had very little movement. Next, the lock pull rod was almost impossible to pull up (unlock). Now the handle hits the rivnuts on the window mounting plate when the window is fully up.

Full disclosure, this car has had the door skins replaced and that may have some effect. I've already taken the (scary) step of opening up the holes in the door slightly to provide clearance for the handle mech arms to pass through cleanly. That increased the movement of the mech when installed sans latch and handle but didn't fix other issues. Also, the handle mechanism is different right to left sides. The right (troublesome) side has some very nifty wedge shaped felt on the mech to keep the metal from touching the glass when lifted but that is adding additional interference and is not present on the left (working) side. It is so nice I've been hesitant to remove it but am on the brink now...

The issue with the recalcitrant unlocking is almost certainly because the handle mech is applying pressure against the top vertical portion of the latch, which needs to slide up when unlocking. The latch has been cleaned and lubricated and works fine on the bench. I can unlock if I combine pulling the rod with pushing the proper portion of the latch from below and applying a fair amount of force. Interestingly, if the latch pawl is lifted just a tad it unlocks like butter.

The handle mech sits flat against the door and has lots of movement until the latch assy and handle are attached. With the latch installed, the handle mech cannot return to flat against the door and thus has reduced throw and constant pressure from hitting the latch arm. The handle mech is located to the door by how it snugs up against the inner door structure so there doesn't appear to be any adjustment there. The tear-drop shaped holes for the two mounting studs appear to be that shape only to facilitate assembly (being able to thread nuts prior), not for adjustment. Similarly, the latch doesn't have any adjust, as the screws are countersunk into the door. Thus, the only adjustment appears to be the slots in the mech where the chrome handle attaches but I have issues prior to attaching the handle.

Also, I have to admit to not using the u-shaped metal piece pictured at top of photo (these are photos from the web, not my actual parts, btw). What is the purpose of that piece?

Before I pull out the "chief engineer" and start bending some stuff I thought I'd at least inquire. Any secrets?

Attachments

• e9DoorLatch.png
    e9DoorLatch.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 111
  • e9DoorHandleParts.jpeg
    e9DoorHandleParts.jpeg
    234.7 KB · Views: 111
  • e9DoorHandle.png
    e9DoorHandle.png
    614.9 KB · Views: 106
Wow. No "expert" opinions? I'd at least have thought someone would chime in with the purpose of the U-shaped piece.

As a small update, what I thought was just felt is actually a heavy wedge-shaped chunk of lead covered in felt. It adds heft to the handle and helps it want to return to the closed position, but the driver's side on this car didn't have it.

Sorry you haven’t gotten any bites on this. Speaking for myself I’ve only managed to reassemble a partial ‘mental picture’ of these assemblies from when I cleaned them up and installed electric locks on them years ago. And I have a vague recollection of window track adjustment potentially being a factor where that felt-covered weight is concerned.

Your photos are very helpful. If you can take a few more of these assemblies installed in the doors I suspect you’ll jog some memories. I’m curious as to whether I could spot any obvious differences in the left and right doors.

I have little knowledge of the doorlocks, as i haven't touched mine, ever.

However I do wonder; as the function of the left and right door mechanism are identical, I find it strange if your two mechanisms are different. I would expect them to be mirror images.
If they are fundamentally different, then something funny is up; a creative PO used a 1980's 3 series part perhaps?

Wrt the lead part; this may match to something I have in the back of my mind. I think I've read here on the forum that these lead weights are prone to fall of (glued?). If that "memory ghost" is true, then perhaps on one side the part was tossed be a PO, and on the other side it was still there.

Sorry, no expert on these things. But we'll get you there.

Could you post a pic of the left and right part side by side so we can see the (any) differences, or are they are mounted now?

Back