Dr Malc's cure all Wednesday remedy!!

Dave B

Reaction score
Malc,

Once again - thanks very much for all your help today.

Just about all of the things you did to the car were way beyond me, especially the use of gas welder to put heat onto seized/ stuck bits. It was great to hover by your shoulder and see these jobs being done. I liked being put to work on the easier tasks, and certainly enjoyed getting underneath the car and getting dirty and skinned knuckles. There was not a lot of room to get that exhaust manifold back on!

Glad I was able to make the teas and coffees - I'm good at that, and finding a good bakers for lunch ( maybe it's a cop thing! )

Car was great going back down the road. Took the coast road, and gave it a bit of welly. Fuel gauge still goes down quickly.

Clutch is fine, good pedal. No ticking noise - think it must have been just exhaust gas fluffing at the gasket at the back.

Safety sandles are the future!!!

Think I must be owe you about a million favours now..

Malc

Reaction score
No worries Dave, glad to be of help.
Certainly appreciate your skills in delivering the pies :lol:
If any of you end up in Montrose you have to go to... oh dear forgotten the name of the pie shop :roll: Over to Dave for that one!

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
a day with Sir Malc...

Quite jealous, sounds like you folks had quite a day. Malc, I don't suppose you get to North Carolina when you're west of the big muddie. If so, I know a great bakery....One question for Dave B, what's a welly? I assume its not a horse boot. I've been over your way fifteen times or so, and that's a new one on me.... Dave V. in western NC, USA

Malc

Reaction score
Welly-
British English slang, usually in the form give it some welly.
Often shouted to a person as encouragement or criticism, to put more effort to be put into whatever he or she is doing.

It dates from the 1970s. The last word in the phrase is a common British abbreviation for the equally British term wellington boots (“It’s wet in the garden — best wear your wellies”), these being waterproof rubber boots named after the First Duke of Wellington. The slang sense seems to have come about through mental links with various senses of boot or foot.
One of the earliest appearances was in motor racing, in which the reference was putting the foot more firmly on the accelerator "Give it some welly"; another was in football (soccer) , for a powerful kick.Welly it!, He wellied that ball etc etc

Billy Connolly the comedian made the term popular, usually prefixed with the "F" word! :shock:

Other variations include Boot it! for instance I booted it around the corner, However the term stick the boot in is more sinister, probably due to the violence of the skinheads and soccer hooligans of the 70's and 80's. This may of had it's origins from the film Clockwork Orange on which gangs and "firms" (football supporters who went not to watch the games but to look for fights) seem to be modeled.

Daxklynsmith

Reaction score
Also handy receptacles for the sheeps hind feet according to my Australian friends. :twisted: but I think they may have got that from the Scots.