Dremel or similar??

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does anyone make use of a Dremel or similar rotary tool?

You know, to grind out assorted bits of rust, (imagine that..) grind off old welds, etc.

My 4" grinder is great, but more and more I'm running into places it can't get into.

1. Does the Dremel have enough power to make it effective?

2. Is it worth getting one with an extension shaft?

3. If not a Dremel, then what else??

Malc

Reaction score
Yeap!
I use an air driven Inglesoll/Rand die grinder. I had a Dremel but burnt it out after many many stalls. The extensions can knot themselves up if they stall where as an air driven tool will just stop
Means of course you need a compressor with at least 12 cfm FAD to drive it.
Unfortunately even with one of these you can't get to all the rust and you either resort to grit blasting, chemicals, or treating it to stop the rust spreading further.
Malc

TILLA

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've had a dremal for about 20 years and find it handy for a lot of small jobs, they have cut-off wheels that I use for shortening bolts, and polishing wheels for small items, etc. I bought some Rotozip bits and was able to cut holes in drywall (plasterboard, gyprock, gibraltar board) and particle board (chipboard). I've never tried the extention drive but thought I would be handy, I didn't know about the issue that Malc brought up.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
I used to wonder about others' use of Dremels, but have found that they often work where other tools are just too large. If you are buying one, get the most powerful one you can find. I have a couple but mostly use the Black & Decker . I have a flex shaft, but have yet to encounter a situation to use it for bodywork.

I use bigger tools to grind out as much as I can, then use the Dremel reinforced cut-off wheels as much as I can and only use the other thinner cut-off wheels where absolutely necessary as they are kind of fragile and prone to breaking at inopportune times.

Mostly I use air die grinders with 3-4" cut-off wheels. I have occasionally used 5" cut-off wheels on electric angle grinders, but they weigh a lot more and unlike Malc, I don't have a rotissery and so find I am always working on the ground under the car, so the weight quickly becomes an issue.