dropped spindles for a coupe

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
Does anyone have a pair of E3 or E9 struts that are rotted out (spring saddles or tubes) that they’d be willing to let go of for cheap. I’m playing with the idea of welding up some dropped spindles for my coupe but I need a second pair of struts to cut up and combine with the struts that came out of my Bavaria parts car. Before everyone panics I will just add that I’ve been welding for over 50 years and will certainly reinforce my weld with fish-plates.

I’m not even sure I can do it so even a strut for just one side would be great as long as it isn’t bent from a crash. Why would I even want to bother…… the lower control arms on my coupe are level right now (which I believe is optimal) so I wouldn’t want lower it any further with even shorter springs. Moving the spindle stub axles higher up on the strut would lower the car without changing the suspension geometry ;-). THANKS & Merry Xmas ~ John Buchtenkirch

Mike Goble

Reaction score
If you're welding up spindles onto old struts, why not some later ones that will accommodate larger brakes?

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi John, another option is just do what I did and make up spacer blocks to go under the strut, (between the strut and the steering arm)
I had these milled up from Aluminium, and I just changed out the bottom bolts to longer high tensile cap screws
I will post a picture if you like?

Steve

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
These are what I had made

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387853969.805240.jpg

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
Hi John, another option is just do what I did and make up spacer blocks to go under the strut, (between the strut and the steering arm)
I had these milled up from Aluminium, and I just changed out the bottom bolts to longer high tensile cap screws
I will post a picture if you like?

Steve

Steve, that’s a pretty good idea and should keep the suspension parts in the correct position. The other side of the story is it further limits suspension travel if you lower the car that way. I’ve already lost about an inch with the lowering springs, I’d hate to lose anymore. If there was a shorter strut insert that fit there’s always the possibility of shortening the strut tube. ~ John Buchtenkirch

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
interested in this topic

question, is there a need of using the ireland eng. solution presented in the previous link, if you have lowered the suspension using the carl nelson springs ?

i do not know what bump-steer is

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
Steve, that’s a pretty good idea and should keep the suspension parts in the correct position. The other side of the story is it further limits suspension travel if you lower the car that way. I’ve already lost about an inch with the lowering springs, I’d hate to lose anymore. If there was a shorter strut insert that fit there’s always the possibility of shortening the strut tube. ~ John Buchtenkirch

Hi John, If you have already lowered the car you won't loose any more travel using these blocks, all they do is push the lower arm down closer to its standard position, and put the steering arms back closer to where they should be.
The only way you will loose more travel is if the springs are shorter.

Merry Christmas

Steve

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
Hi John, If you have already lowered the car you won't loose any more travel using these blocks, all they do is push the lower arm down closer to its standard position, and put the steering arms back closer to where they should be.
The only way you will loose more travel is if the springs are shorter.

Steve

Steve, you are a 100% right but I’d like to lower my car just a bit more (1” or 1.5”) but only if I don’t have to give up any of the already good handling traits that the coupe has. That is why I was thinking dropped spindles……… I’d still have all the wheel travel I have now (about 2.5” reduced from 3.5”). I’m a long time street / hot rodder so stance makes :D or breaks :oops: the looks of a car for me. ~ John Buchtenkirch
!000!###.JPG

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok, see where your going John, sounds like your plan is the best route.
I lowered a Toyota starlet once and suspention travel was an issue, but I got it back with a slightly different approach, I used the blocks under the strut to keep the lower arms and steering at the bottom in order, and I lifted the top of the strut up through the body so it was hard up under the inside of the bonnet, had to make a cage type structure up for the top of the strung to mount into, I incorporated a sliding camber adjustment into this as well.
However, this was a race car and we had the small dia coil springs etc etc, so not really something that could be done on a coupe without a lot of extra engineering.
Basically your plan sounds much easier to get to the result your after!!

Good luck, look forward to hearing about the end result

Steve

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
Ok, see where your going John, sounds like your plan is the best route.
I lowered a Toyota starlet once and suspention travel was an issue, but I got it back with a slightly different approach, I used the blocks under the strut to keep the lower arms and steering at the bottom in order, and I lifted the top of the strut up through the body so it was hard up under the inside of the bonnet, had to make a cage type structure up for the top of the strung to mount into, I incorporated a sliding camber adjustment into this as well.
However, this was a race car and we had the small dia coil springs etc etc, so not really something that could be done on a coupe without a lot of extra engineering.
Basically your plan sounds much easier to get to the result your after!!

Good luck, look forward to hearing about the end result

Steve

Besides doing the usual family Christmas stuff I've been giving some thought about the best way to do the struts on my Coupe. I'm thinking if I could find some strut inserts from Bilisten or Koni that were approximately 2” shorter than stock coupe inserts I’d shorten the strut tube the same amount, a relatively simple weld that can be easily be fish plated. Then I'd add a spacer of the same length at the bottom of the strut just like you were suggesting initially.

Also at that point I'd consider changing over the spring pads to accept coil over springs, I have quite a collection from years and years of swap meets. While I would lose 2 inches of overall suspension travel it wouldn't all be in the downward direction which is what happens when you keep installing shorter and shorter lowering springs. All thoughts, both pro or con are always appreciated. ~ John Buchtenkirch

!!!!!!!bp1.jpg