Dropping in M5 motor - part 2

jkyle69

Reaction score
With respect to fitting an M5 V8 engine someone mentioned about problems with brake booster placement. I am converting the car from auto to manual at the same time; here I had thought of using a floor mounted peddle box with brake bias etc rather than fitting the manual peddle box from a coupe

Anything can be done with enough time and money, but you are talking about a lot of custom fabrication and engineering. At that point, to maintain proper pressures required, you would probably have to switch the calipers with whatever brake system you were attempting to yank the other stuff from, as you don't want to have an underpressurized brake system.

The simpler solution is to move the brake booster and brake pressure system to where the battery is currently. All modern BMW v8s do this; take a look in the engine bay of an E39 540 or EM5, and you will find the dual pressure booster tied in with ABS about where the battery would go. Look here to get an idea of what it looks like when it is all done:
http://www.bmwe28v8.org/

I was thinking about using a floor mounted peddle system with dual master cylinder set up with a brake bias control fitted, use drilled/grooved/vented discs from Walloth and Nesch with Red Stuff pads - would this work?

What about steering racks? Would it be a good idea to replace the rack with an alternative?

I was thinking about using a floor mounted peddle system with dual master cylinder set up with a brake bias control fitted, use drilled/grooved/vented discs from Walloth and Nesch with Red Stuff pads - would this work?

What about steering racks? Would it be a good idea to replace the rack with an alternative?

Ah, so you sorta mean the system used in some of the RHD coupes and 6-ers, where it has 2 masters stacked. The real question is, though, where would you fit these rather bulky items? The system you are describing isn't all that small. I figured you would relocate the battery to the trunk anyway, esecially if you want to use a BMW battery.

As for the steering rack, the system used in the link in my last post is a good place to start, since the M60 and S62 share similar dimensions, and the E28 subframe bolds up to the coupe, since the dimensions are the same. Routing your headers is going to be a bear.

Back