Dropping in M5 motor part 3

jkyle69

Reaction score
I have been thinking of trying to mate the Getrag 265 short ratio transmission to the M5 V8 motor. I am aware that I would need a new clutch but what clutch could I use here - uprated one would be good
Ideas anyone? I am also sure I would need an adapter plate - does anyone know of one available?

Based on the realoem ETK, the 265 uses a clutch diameter of228mm, and the M5 uses a diameter of 240mm.

Given how tight the transmission and engine already are in the engine bay, a larger bellhousing would be difficult to fit, not to mention expensive. Any adapter plate will have to be custom.

Thusly, you can try to wedge in a M5 clutch or try an aftermarket 265 clutch, once you get the 265 and S62 to mate using a large custom adapter plate of some kind. Given you would be going through all this work already, and the majority of M5 owners replace their clutches every 30k miles, an aftermarket solution would probably be better. If you check over in the bimmerforums forced induction section, there are several cars with hp/tq above 600, and if I recall right, they use clutchmaster, or UUC. Take a look over there to verify for yourself, though.

I would prefer not to use an M5 tranny as it is bigger (I am sure?) than the Getrag 265, I have the bellhousing and transmission - sourced from a 635CSi manual car. So I have to get an adapter plate - no much of an issue and have someone who can do this. So the main issue is what clutch to use - what would be the best in your opinion?

I would prefer not to use an M5 tranny as it is bigger (I am sure?) than the Getrag 265, I have the bellhousing and transmission - sourced from a 635CSi manual car. So I have to get an adapter plate - no much of an issue and have someone who can do this. So the main issue is what clutch to use - what would be the best in your opinion?

The Getrag S6S 420G is indeed larger than the 265, I have had them next to eachother before when I was considering the swap.

With an adaptor plate, I'd be rather concerned about its thickness. To maintain enough clamping force, there must be sufficient thread distance, which means a thick adapter plate, since you don't want to go drilling in the engine block for bolt holes. A thick adapter plate will make the 265 a difficult fit, but that will be an ongoing problem, given the size of the S62 in the tiny E9 engine bay.

In my current swap, there is less than an inch of clearance in the trans tunnel (at the bellhousing) and about a half-inch of clearance between the fan and the radiator.

Speaking of the radiator, you will probably have to get a custom radiator, since I am not sure that the E39 M5 rad will fit, and given their propensity for blowing their plastic necks, it would probably be best just to get a Zionville one to start with.

Even though it is a 265, I would still be concerned with the transmission's capability to handle the motor. I'd have it rebuilt, probably by Metric Mechanic, unless someone else has a preferred manual trans bullet proofing solution.

As for the clutch, most of the FI guys use the UUC clutches, with great results. Like I said though, I have not researched this specific topic much, so some further sleuthing on your part would be advised, unless someone else has done the research.

Back