e3 owner from norway

matsh

Reaction score
Hi guys.
just bought a 72 e3. i know it aint a e9 but it has the same engine as yours e9 bodys.

the car has it original 3.0 dual zenith carbs. and original ignition system.
the last ovner rebuild the zeniths but they aint no good..

so i am thinking of either buy weber 32/36 or install megasquirt. the cost will be almost the same. i have alot of the components if i deside the megasquirt route.

what is you opinion guys?
is the weber 32/36 the way to do it? also ahve a new pertronix ignitor 2 and flamethrower coil to be shure i have nice spark and remove the old point.

i have an intake manifold from a djet i was thinking to use if i go for the megasquirt route, will then go fuel only and still have the pertronix for ignition.

i will have more possibilities if i go for the ms if i want other modification later.
but it is also quite a job, install fuel system for efi and to get it tuned propperly.

hope you guys have something to comment on this one. is the weber 32/36 a safe and easy way to get it running nice?

x_atlas0

Reaction score
The Webers will probably be the easy way, but they also die past 5k RPMs. An alternate option is a pair of Weber 38/38s, which are much more like the Zeniths in terms of fuel delivery.

matsh

Reaction score
yhea but i will use this car alot for daily driving also, so the 38/38 will be bad on the gas tank...
if i deside to go for webers. do i nead some kinda instalation kitt for throttle linkage, or will it fit with what i have now

x_atlas0

Reaction score
yhea but i will use this car alot for daily driving also, so the 38/38 will be bad on the gas tank...
if i deside to go for webers. do i nead some kinda instalation kitt for throttle linkage, or will it fit with what i have now

The 38/38 Webers give about the same mpg as the stock Zeniths. The triple 40 Webers, now those give bad gas mileage.

matsh

Reaction score
Looked at your thread now Sven.
The 60-2 trigger wheel and sensor is can i take that of a 535 e34 engine. Will the parts for my engine bolt on?

The e34 3.5 engine is the engine block the same as mine 3.0 soni can take the 3.5 and bolt in directly in? Intake i know will not fit. But that can be modded to fit.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If the engine from the e34 is the M30b35 block/head, then it should fit into the car. The right side motor mount will need to be modified because the bolt holes on the block are further forward. Alternatively, you can just take the needed parts off the 3.5 and use it on your 3.0 engine. In either case, you can eliminate the air flow meter (between the air filter and the throttle body). I used the log style intake manifold and bits. It was simpler by allowing me to use the manual throttle linkage from the gas pedal (instead of the electric / wire control - although others on this site have used it). No change was needed to the brake booster, and an available air filter box and bellows from the CSi fit nicely. I also wanted to maintain the stock look of the engine bay as much as possible.

The trigger wheel will bolt on to the 3.0 (as will the VR sensor).

matsh

Reaction score
Give me some days and i will post pictures. Dont have any ok pictures now.

Ok then i can safe buy a e34 535 and use the engine as donor. And take out the one i have in the car now and keep it Stock as a spare engine.

So i Think it will be the 3.5 with ms2 i will go for.
I got intake manifolden old djetronic split type. But if i use that one i will nead to fabricate fuel rail and mounts so i can use other injectors.
Think i will use al the parts from the 535 donor just add the ms2. For more possibilities in tuning

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
You will also need to use the oil pan and oil pump from your 3.0 on the newer 3.5. They are a different shape.

I think the L-jet systems have a fuel rail (with short hoses) that will work with the log intake.

jmackro

Reaction score
...so i am thinking of either buy weber 32/36 or install megasquirt. the cost will be almost the same.

I am not trying to talk you out of doing a Megasquirt conversion - no doubt once done properly the car will run smoother and start easier.

BUT, I am very skeptical that a MS conversion can be done for the same price as bolting on a pair of 32/36's. Further, the time required to source, install, troubleshoot, and tune an aftermarket fuel injection system has to be way way longer than the time required to bolt on a pair of Webers.

Hey, you get what you pay for - Megasquirt may be well worth the time and money it requires. I'm must challenging your statement that the two alternatives are "almost the same".

if i deside to go for webers. do i nead some kinda instalation kitt for throttle linkage, or will it fit with what i have now?

The stock linkage works with the 32/36's. You do need to raise the carbs with a thick spacer (i.e., a heat insulator) to prevent the linkage from going "over center", and sticking in the wide open position (not good).

Last edited:

matsh

Reaction score
hi jmakro

the ms route i am worried about the cold start tuning, that takes alot of testing each time you cold start it. my last car was a e30 with the v12 engine that i mounted twin turbo and a dta pro system.
and the tuning can be a pain.

if i go webers route i think i can find others with same carbs so i dont nead to test alot of nozzles to get it working ok.

if i choose the 38/38 weber to get a litle more power,will that fit the intake like the 32/36?

found some at ebay new ones from 200-300$ each. dont think that is bad for a new weber. or are they only cheap replicas that is no good?