E3 parts/panels compatibility

Gtgringo

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance if there is already a thread on this topic but I have searched numerous times to see what can cross over from E3 to E9.

I'm asking because I have an opportunity to get an E3 and was wondering if anyone has experience here using E3 parts/panels on their E9.

I'm aware of the obvious mechanicals, ie: engine, trans, subframes, brakes, steering, grills, axles, lights, etc. Are the front inner fenders the same/similar enough? Front floors? Frame rails? Rear subframe mounting areas?

Anything else that can be used from the E3 that isn't obvious?

Thanks!

I would think no part of the body would be useable, engine bay for one is totally different, even the rear subframe is different as well. Mechanicals are your only hope.

This one:

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2023-03-16 a la(s) 8.19.14 a. m..png
    Captura de pantalla 2023-03-16 a la(s) 8.19.14 a. m..png
    165.5 KB · Views: 67
Out of curiosity I had a quick look at Realoem - this suggests that the front chassis rails are the same. I do wonder though if some other parts might be adapted - figuring that BMW may well have thought there was little point in completely re-inventing the wheel and where possible may have based parts for one shell on the other? Conceivably that may mean parts such as the transmission tunnel, elements of bulkheads and of the front inner wings might be capable of being adapted - that said, if you need to cannibalise an E3 to repair those parts of another car, is it worth saving?

that said, if you need to cannibalise an E3 to repair those parts of another car, is it worth saving?
A thousand thanks. Please leave the remaining E3 alone, so many good cars have been butchered to save other models far worse.

Starting at the firewall, E3 & E9 are most different. Some technical parts are interchangeable, also the front grilles, wiper arms, door ashtrays and so on. Usually it won't pay to use an E3 as donor for an E9.

I should've added that I've got a 3.0si as well and was hoping to use everything I possibly could from the potential parts car. Not in the business of wrecking a perfectly good car (the si would've sufficed as it's quite clean).

Front floors, rails, inner fender areas all looked quite similar. Just wanted to hear if anyone had first hand experience.

Cheers!

Front inner fender is mostly identical. I used this NOS e3 fender in my e9, of course some modification required and bracket positions are wrong.

E3 NOS
CIMG1219.JPG

E9 NOS
CIMG1219 copy.jpg

Back