E3 underhood foam available

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
The E3 underhood foam from BMW, although not NLA, is not available as there have been none in stock in Germany or the US for many months. When available, it had a price of $67.08.

I've had a set reproduced for my own E3 using water cutting technology from a template I created and the results are very good. It does not have the self adhesive backing but 3M yellow super trim adhesive #08090 will work.

If there is any interest from board members I could have a few more sets reproduced at around $50 per set. Shipping is very low as it's lightweight and can be folded for shipping, returning to its unwrinkled shape within a day.

Please post here if you have interest.

P1080019.JPG

P1080020.JPG

P1080021.JPG

73 E3

Reaction score
I haven't checked in on here in a while, but I'd certainly be interested in a set if you could still get your hands on them

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Luis I assume the guy from Classic 9 Leather who lists on Ebay for other cars, did not recall making one for me after I sent him templates? Quite odd.

Attachments

• IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 184

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Luis I assume the guy from Classic 9 Leather who lists on Ebay for other cars, did not recall making one for me after I sent him templates? Quite odd.

Yeah that's him Bob. I didn't press the issue with him as he seemed foggy and I wanted the OEM look foam. Turns out I didn't test fit the custom-cut foam when I received it and it's not cut to the correct size. I modified mine to fit and applied it this weekend. It looks really good but it was a lot of work to make it right.

windnsea

Reaction score
A while back - actually quite a while back someone had made available some underhood insulation for an E3 that was the adhesive backed high temp foam with reflective aluminum foil on the other side. Quite an improvement over the plain foam as no fluids or dirt/grease can get into the foam.

I'll have to research my old records for who had this available.