E3 won’t start

EJ333

Reaction score
Been having inconsistent starts recently.
At first I was a little concerned that it didn’t start in the first second of turning the ignition as it normally would. ( Fuel Injected) .Then it gradually took about 6 seconds for the start. I decided to check out the battery and had it checked and charged fully by InterState. Worked fine for a few times, now it doesn’t turn over at all. What’s the most likely culprit? A new starter needed ?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Need some clarification. When it took a few seconds to start did it turn over at the same speed prior to starting or did it turn slower and slower like it was losing power? Have you tapped on the starter/solenoid to see if it's sticking? Need to rule out the battery (which I think you did), cable connections, cable resistance (bulging wires/corrosion) and the starter and solenoid. May end up being something completely unrelated to those.

EJ333

Reaction score
Need some clarification. When it took a few seconds to start did it turn over at the same speed prior to starting or did it turn slower and slower like it was losing power? Have you tapped on the starter/solenoid to see if it's sticking? Need to rule out the battery (which I think you did), cable connections, cable resistance (bulging wires/corrosion) and the starter and solenoid. May end up being something completely unrelated to those.
Dang,
When it did start after about six seconds, it seemed to have the same power as normal. I haven’t tried tapping the starter/solenoid yet, since I am away from the vehicle, but that will be my next step along with checking the connections. Thanks

EJ333

Reaction score
Andrew,
The battery is from 2014, and when I took it to InterState, they charged it overnight for me.
When they tested it on the bench afterwards , they said I would probably get a few more months service before needing a new one.
When I reinstalled the newly charged battery, it started right up and the battery felt strong. Now the battery still feels strong, but just can’t get it to turn over, so I am pretty confident I need to look elsewhere.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Now the battery still feels strong, but just can’t get it to turn over
Sorry but I still can't get things straight. Normally, a strong battery will turn over the engine at a good pace, strong enough to keep turning the engine over even if it doesn't start. If it turns over strong but doesn't start I doubt it's your battery. If it turns over slowly it could be cables/connection or starter. If it doesn't turn over at all it could be the starter or the ignition switch.

EJ333

Reaction score
Okay, I just got the engine running, after a few “clanks” of my mini-mallet. However, the idle is extremely weak and only gets 300 rpm. The idle is rough and weak. If I give it the gas it revs then falls back to 300 rpm.
I was able to start the engine straightaway the second time, with the same results.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Car will do all kinds of stuff with a bad battery and after 5 years you probably need a new one anyhow. I highly recommend Rob's book on European electrical systems. From what I've read above you have not totally ruled out a battery in poor condition-

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
If the battery guy told you there was only a couple of months left in the battery, get a new one. A battery at the end of its life will leave you stranded.