e32/34 brake disks and callipers? easy fit or big mod?

daicos35

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have 16 inch Alpinas all round and want to fit larger disks and calipers (from e 34/32 parts car)as I am upgrading the engine.
Is this worthwhile?
Has anyone done this and if so, what is involved?
thx Mike

x_atlas0

Reaction score
I think it is a fairly big mod, as it requires the e28 rear subframes, which also requires an e28 diff to use. Plus, the stock stoppers are good enough for just about anything with some basics, like SS lines and good fluids.

Malc

Reaction score
Agree, Go with the basics first better pad materials etc before going for major mods. You would have to take the whole back end out of say an E28, change the diff mountings and possible the way the rear suspension is done, My 535 has a combination spring/shock assembly rather than seperate items, so the rear turret tops / shock mountings in the boot (trunk) would need to be changed as well

A lot of work, and unless you can do most of it yourself, a lot of money too

Malc

Philip Slate

Reaction score
Malc is correct in that the E28 has a coil over rear suspension which would put all the suspension loading on the shock towers. And E9 shock towers being what they are, that's not a good thing.

shanon

Reaction score
might want to try this set up first:

stock calipers, slotted (NOT drilled) rotors, racing pads & fluid, and SS brake lines.

this set has proven very effective, reliable, vintage legal, and easy for our CS racer.
A lot less $$ than a conversion. A good first step, might be the only thing ya need...it's all we have needed, and the CS can outbrake most.

-shanon