E34 Oil Filter

TILLA

Site Donor
Reaction score
Has anybody installed an E34 oil filter in their coupe? It looks like it would be a lot less messy to change the cartridge that the older styles - I'm not sure about clearance with my intake manifold, I have a CSi that was converted to L-Jetronic.

Mark

E34OilFilter.png

E34535engine.png

Don't know if mine is specifically from e34 but I think this is a pretty standard upgrade from original. WRONG.

Duh. I must have been standing on my head when I looked at this!

Won't work. The early block has different passages for oil return and this nifty looking filter assembly will leave your motor with no oil pressure.
Peter
coupeking

You sure rained on my parade, I thought they finally got it right and I could change the filter in a white dinner jacket :(

Thanks for the information though.

Mark

Thanks Pete, that is what I have in there now, I thought that this other one would be a lot less messy since you wouldn't need to remove the entire unit and the filter would be drained of oil when you took it out.

Mark

I am going to use an M535 E28 filter housing for a couple of reasons
1.. I has connections for an oil cooler
2.. The housing has a drain on it so at least there is less of a mess when taking out the element
Malc

I saw that one also Malc, the main issue that I have is that I am parking my coupe in a common garage in my condominium complex where they discourage any maintenance being performed; so I purchased a Topsider oil changer and with the design of the aforementioned filter housing I would be able to sneak an oil change with not too much attention. I am hoping to find a place to do work in the near future but this will have to do for now. By the way I have seen this housing on RealOEM.COM for various engines with fittings for an oil cooler, I am concerned about Peter's comment about the oil passages though it looks like the E32 has the older block.

Mark

Tilla,
I can take some pictures of the E28 item plus I can take the one off the Coupe engine and take pictures of that if you want to see if there are any differences
Let me know
Cheers
Malc

Malc,

I have an updated housing on the coupe much like the E28 that you are referring to, I would much rather have the inverted style that you remove the cover and extract the mostly drained filter (filtre). I know this seems petty but with my current repair constraints and my desire to change the oil myself behoove me to inquire. Anyway ill keep plodding on...

By the way I love these multilingual conversations :)

Driving down an interstate passing up a semi is not as much fun as

Driving down a dual carriageway passing up a lorry :)

Korman adapter was over $100 last time I saw the price. Ouch!

A top bolt filter is pretty clean. Just put a plastic grocery bag around it when you pull the filter cup off, it catches all the oil and saves the mess.

Good idea Tony, kinda reminds me of what people do when they walk their dogs :lol:
Now I can get back to my 5 speed swap.

Mark

Back