e9 automatic transmission problem

Mewish

Reaction score
After dropping two grand on the front-end and carbs, my 3.0cs is apparently far from finished with my wallet. As of early this week, the transmission has started shifting oddly. When I start from a cold stop and accelerate, the transmission slips and I can only imagine how much longer the damn thing is going to work. This car is driven by our whole family (read: not everyone can drive an MT) and thusly I would like to either service the current transmission or replace it with a superior automatic version. I have read several articles on conversion from automatic to manual, but can I swap out the transmission in my e9 with a later model one that is also auto? If not, is it feasible to service my current one or should I begin the hunt for another one?

Thanks,
Parker

This car is driven by our whole family (read: not everyone can drive an MT)

I went through the same dilemma, and when I consulted Carl Nelson over the phone the line went silent for 2 seconds and then he said: Teach them.

Carl was right. 5 speed is the answer, what is the question.

Parker,
The e9 uses the same AT as the e3 (Bavaria) and the e12 (first Five), the ZF 3hp22. There must be hundreds available, hit the boards and start asking around, I'm sure you can track down a good one for under $150.

After dropping my automatic every other year for a decade to replace leaking seals I finally went to a 5 speed this year. I should have done it a decade ago.

Shawn

I'm going to see if I can find a suitable AT, and if that ends up in failure then I will take the plunge into total conversion.

Conversion

Mewish said:
I'm going to see if I can find a suitable AT, and if that ends up in failure then I will take the plunge into total conversion.

You say "total conversion" as if it were a bad thing, or devalued the car, or detracted. It does none of those. Most of us were probably surprised at the torque and power revealed by replacing crappy ATs with 4- or 5-speed MTs.

It's not that, it's just that if I can have a quick repair or a trans. swap, I would prefer that to having to finding the right MT, the pedals, the shifter replacements and paying to get all of the work done. Right now, it looks like I only have to get bands readjusted. However, I envision doing the switch sometime soon, because I know that damn thing won't be lasting forever. Personally though, I would really love having two extra gears and all of the performance benefits.

There you go, get it back on the road with minimum money/effort. Always a good plan. Then you can go about planning for an eventual swap on your own time/budget.

Back