E9 CSL Brightwork

SimonK65

Reaction score
Hello All,

New UK member just in the process of finishing an E9 CSL (UK RHD) restoration chassis number 2285407. I have been through all the posts regarding the brightwork but have been unable to find any definitive summary on what brightwork was originally anodised and what was chromed. Can anyone help as keen to attempt to get the finishes as per original.

Simon

A few parts differs between e9's build years as there was a tad more (expensive) chrome in '69/70.

bright anodised;
-waist trim,
- screen surrounds (= window trim, inside the rubber).
-roof gutter trim,
-kidney grille,
-the dull interior dash strip,
-the 2 shifter console parts with the window switches.
-The long shiny bit inside the rubber strip on the decorative sill running between the wheels.
- Interior strip on top of door to glass

Chrome parts are:
- the strips at the bottom of the side glass, outside
- bumpers & bumper add-ons.
- pot metal Feet of the side mirrors
- rear tail light frames
- front indicators, chromed pot metal
- chromed pot metal , interior & exterior door handles
- ashtray in door
- chromed pot metal on oval cross sectioned armrest support
- chromed plastic; the cap on the front-top of the interior armrest.
- chromed plastic; the window switch base and their dummy plates (if you had no electric windows)
- manual window cranks
-automatic shifter stem.
- tail pipe exhaust tip, 55mm for 2800 and 60mm for 3.0 engines.
- Window wiper, chromed pot metal hinge and round washer on the body around it's pivot.
- I am not listing the nuts and bolts....

I am not sure about :
-the section long strip along the dashboard grab rail being bright mirror shine & round cross sectioned. I think chromed steel.
- The rear and front bases under the hood/trunk roundel, though perhaps later build years had them anodized alu?
- "2800, 3.0 cs,csi,csl & automatic" badges, i think anodized alu, but perhaps chromed pot metal?
- trim on the circumference of the black plastic on the L and R front grilles with the headlights

Stainless steel:
- mirror housings of the side mirrors
- The interior and exterior trim on the sill(where you step on)
-The 4 trimrings around the headlights, Inc screws
- Window wiper, the J-hook end bit

Some exceptions:
Around '69/'70, the early 2800 had a chromed brass taillightpanel and chromed pot metal side and hood grilles.
Also the side badges had chromed brass bases.

The side and hood grilles later turned into plastic 2-tone chrome ( later full chrome) or black.
The taillight panel switched to anodized aluminum as well.

The last shiny part is our smiles when we drive...

Feel free to correct /add

Last edited:
Remember that at some point the bright strip on top of the door glass changed material. One weighed more than double the other as discovered while changing out a broken driver's glass. I had cleaned out the old strip of my '69 in preparation to installing on replacement. Found used glass that had damaged trim strip and it was surprisingly light when removed.

Remember that at some point the bright strip on top of the door glass changed material. One weighed more than double the other as discovered while changing out a broken driver's glass. I had cleaned out the old strip of my '69 in preparation to installing on replacement. Found used glass that had damaged trim strip and it was surprisingly light when removed.
Was it on your 2000CS? So BMW likely changed then from chromed brass to anodized Alu as well?

On the 2000CS I've heard that more parts are chrome for instance the vertical panels on the doorjambs as well; in the e9 they got the hatch pattern being Alu. 2000CS has massive chrome brass without the hatch pattern, so shiny there

A few parts differs between e9's build years as there was a tad more (expensive) chrome in '69/70.

bright anodised;
-waist trim,
-roof gutter trim,
-kidney grille,
-The long shiny bit inside the rubber strip on the decorative sill running between the wheels.

Chrome parts are:
- rear tail light frames
- ashtray in door
- chromed plastic; the window switch base and their dummy plates (if you had no electric windows)
- manual window cranks
-automatic shifter stem.
- Window wiper, chromed pot metal hinge and round washer on the body around it's pivot.

I am not sure about :
-the section long strip along the dashboard grab rail being bright mirror shine & round cross sectioned. I think chromed steel.
- The rear and front bases under the hood/trunk roundel, though perhaps later build years had them anodized alu?
- "2800, 3.0 cs,csi,csl & automatic" badges, i think anodized alu, but perhaps chromed pot metal?
- trim on the circumference of the black plastic on the L and R front grilles with the headlights

Stainless steel:

Some exceptions:
Around '69/'70, the early 2800 had a chromed brass taillightpanel and chromed pot metal side and hood grilles.

The side and hood grilles later turned into plastic 2-tone chrome ( later full chrome) or black.

thanks Erik, i started doing this last night but chose to go to sleep instead of finishing.

Yes, 2000CS. Also solid bright rocker trim
1726593082795.png

bright anodised;
-waist trim,
-roof gutter trim,
-kidney grille,

Chrome parts are:
- rear tail light frames
- ashtray in door
- manual window cranks
-automatic shifter stem.

I am not sure about :

Stainless steel:

Some exceptions:

my experience:

Some exceptions:

i had all these as described in my 10th may 1971 3.0cs

Back