E9-Driven Grill Badge Process

jhjacobs

Reaction score
E9COUPE.COM - The E9-Driven Community:

This grill badge effort has been an amazing process! Within a few short weeks we were able to come up with a design, generally agree on it, and get it put into production. What is even more amazing is that everyone jumped in and placed orders and posted payments. When this effort started I was a bit nervous than the badges wouldn't be accepted and that I would sit on a pile of them. Exactly the opposite has happened. I have run out within days of making them available. I actually feel badly that they are sold out.

I am deeply humbled by everyone's kind words passed along in the orders and messages we've exchanged. I am also impressed with everyone's actual commitment which has been reflected in action! I only hope that our badges will be of the highest quality and meet everyone expectations. This a truly worthy collection of capable and passionate people. here on the board. I hope this tradition lives on for many years to come.

As I mentioned in the Order Thread, I personally have 4 extra badges. I want to hang on to them until I have fulfilled the current orders (in case of defects, shortfall, etc.). However, it is possible that I could be convinced to part with a few more of them if it will make someones life complete or if they are willing to trade a real coupe for it. :roll:
Anyway, send me a PM if you need to discuss this with me.

Several of you have expressed interest in similar exercises for T-Shirts, Hats, Patches, etc. This sounds like a fun thing to do. I'll be happy to help carry such a torch again after I complete the badge effort.

Rust will not prevail as long as we persist!

Rust will not Prevail!
THINK FAST (it's rusting)
Rust Bucket Buddies!

There is some interesting theme material here.

Right now I am leaning toward a nice patch that can be applied to a jacket, vest, hat, etc. Our badge design could work. We could also at more stuff. Perhaps we need some different chapters: I'm claiming "Rust Belt Chapter"

I like the internal window cling idea Malc suggested. Patch would also be nice.

Kinda bummed I missed the grill badge ordering... my fault, away from the forum too long... if there's enough demand, I'd go in on a second run.

I've done a bit of checking and it seems that an internal static cling vinyl sticker 3" x 9" would be about $550 per 100; smaller is less.

Patches are about $150 to $700 for 2" to 7" per 100.

How about one of the below for a "T" shirt

E9 DRIVEN--KNOWN FOR or KNOWN AS or KNOWN TO

KARMANN RUST BUSTERS!! NO REST FROM KARMANNS RUST!!
WE HATE RUST!! WE BUST RUST!! NO REST FROM RUST!!
NO RUST FOR THE WICKED!! NO RUST FOR THE WEARY!!
ONLY RUST BUSTERS NEED APPLY!!
ONLY RUST BUSTERS WANNA BUY

JMT

Not on the rust theme, I found some old BMW marketing tag lines that we could "suitably" modify for our purposes (see http://www.bmwworld.com/ads/ads3.htm):

Our exclusive Dreikugelwirbelwannenbrennraum (I've asked Orangener to help translate - I consider this possibly better than Fahrfignugen!)
Hot Car from Bavaria ... rusty car from Bavaria
Take me to your husband ... in our dreams!
Schnell on wheels! ... rust on wheels
Think fast ... rusting faster

My own suggestions:

Rostignügen -- as in Fahrfignügen / Driving Pleasure we have Rusting Pleasure
Mein Auto verrostet schneller als Ihrig -- My car rusts faster than yours
Mein Auto kann schneller verrosten als Ihrig -- My car can rust faster than yours

Falsch/wrong is
Mein Auto verrostet schneller als Ihrig
Mein Auto kann schneller verrosten als Ihrig
Rostignügen

Mein Auto verrostet schneller als Ihres !
Mein Auto kann schneller verrosten als Ihres !
Rostvergnügen!

And the best is this translation:
Dreikugelwirbelwannenbrennraum-Tripleballwhirltubcombustionchamber :lol:

The way I see it:

I gotta have a t shirt with the flying bat from the badge. It needs to say
Dreikugelwirbelwannenbrennraum on the front, maybe in a large circle completely circling the bat.

and then under the circle, in smaller font, it should say

(Tripleballwhirltubcombustionchamber)

While I particularly like Rust Bucket Buddies, I offer the following alternatives...

Tin Worm Terrorists
Rustmeisters
Stonehaven or Rust!
Work All Day, Rust All Night
Fighting for a Rust Cause (maybe with a small inka colored ribbon...)

Although I gotta say the Rostvergnugen has a certain flair....

How about Rust colored wrist bands..? Ruststrong... or maybe here is where the "Rust Cause" theme might be better...

Or maybe an Ode to My Coupe.... on a t shirt...

Quietly she sleeps
I can hear her in the cold morning dew
Her song echoes, resonant in my soul
Her graceful curves reminding me of sinuous roads and methanol
I hear her gears whine
Her M30 heart beating in time with mine
As we conquer another winding road
I hear her, quietly rusting, evolving from graceful form to dust

BUT, I have enough tshirts and hats...what would be really cool is a nice quality button down shirt in BMW blue, with the flying bat on the pocket, and our "club" name.. Whatever we decide to call it..

Just some 6 AM musings...

S

I think a slight twist might be:

Got Tripleballwhirltubcombustionchambers?

or
Haben Sie Dreikugelwirbelwannenbrennraumen?

Enough T-shirts. A dress shirt is a reasonable idea. I'm also intrigued with Malc's inside window sticker concept. How about "Dreikugelwirbelwannenbrennraum" as a full length sunvisor area sticker for the front window? I have no idea where to get them made but this would also be a fairly period correct addition...

ORANGENER - Danke viel mals for your translation services. I am always embarrassed by my poor German. I learned when I was only 10-13 years old and now I am very rusty with what was very unsophisticated German.

Something is very, very wrong here.

Dreikugelwirbelwannenbrennraum (German is about 30 characters)
Triplehemisphericswirlactioncombustionchamber (English is about 45 characters)

This does not happen with English and German. Perhaps we should translate this word into a dozen other languages and see what happens! :shock:

Back