E9 production changes UK cars?

pat cooks

Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to work out when they stopped fitting the silver front grilles and chrome bonnet (hood) and wing grilles, my best guess so far is they were 2800cs and the first of the 3.0cs carb models up to late 1971????
For RHD cars when did they stop fitting the left side rear fog lamp into the rear panel next to the left rear lamp again I think up to the end of the 1971 model year?

Pat

Simufly

Reaction score
IMG_2246.PNG I dont think RHD ever had the rear fog in the rear panel by the number plate.
The 1971 Autosport road test of the 2800 does not show one and nor doesthe 1972 Autocar long term test of the 3.0CS or the Autocar Dec 73 test of the CSl, but the last test does show a switch for the fog lamp and rear fog lamp warning lamp on the identikit section. However they could have just done the equivalent of cut and paste from the handbook!
FWIW my car is a series 2 and has the above mentioned switch and a Hella red rectangular rear fog under the rear offside bumper
Simon

Feeling a bit geeky here; comes of being laid up in bed with nothing better to do.
The Regulations would not allow a single red rear foglight on the near side of a car. See the thumbnail.

Last edited:

pat cooks

Reaction score
I agree about the law but I suspect that is more recent than my car, it is a very original 3.0cs apart from the 2800cc engine, the interior trim panel is also cut to fit the rear fog lamp, looks factory, a good few years ago rear fog lamps were fitted to both sides, but caused confusion and obscured the brake lights so now we only have fogs on the o/s, I know later CS models had a Hella lamp under the bumper, I really don't think my car has been modified, maybe it was a personal import not to full UK spec but I am sure I have seen, scrapped or worked on quite a few CS's with rear panel fog lamps, maybe some were LHD, maybe in the early days most cars did not have rear fogs but if you ordered one you got the left side? until the law cought up, maybe the test cars were not fitted with any rear fog lamp........... Pat

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I would guess 1973 they stopped fitting the bright silver grilles? Long thread on that in this forum somewhere.

Wing/fender/hood/bonnet grille chrome... Only on dark colored cars. Black on the lighter paints