E9CSI 3.5 Turbo with D Jet

Jahan

Reaction score
I am doing a full nuts & bolt restoration of a 1972 CSI that came with a 3.5 with Turbo set up from a euro 745i & D jet fuel injection. I have the engine out on stand & intend to do a cosmetic restoration of the engine & its components as the engine ran pretty good before I took the care a part. I saw some where that Turbo set up does not work with D jet! Does any one have any information , experience or sugestion? Should I upgrade the D jet now that engine is out? The reason I think I have the D jet is that the number son the control unit corresponds to the D jet system. How can I figure out what head I have?

Well...if it was running fine, and you haven't experienced any kind of engine knock, and has plenty of power, then seems the D-JET works fine. Maybe not optimal since the Euro turbo came out w/L-Jet.

Pic of the ECU unit?

Running a djet OS built for a 3.0 engine on a m106 engine with a theoretical displacement of 4.5 liters is a big issue. While the injectors would be a close fit in flow not counting the mismatched impedance and the duty cycle the timing would not. The m102 Jetronic bmw turbo at that time ran 10* retard at idle then positive vacuum and mechanical advance at cruise and then 10* vacuum retard again at boost. Specific differences were due to boost and compression. The M106 was Motronic and 8:1 compression and also equipped with knock control- You can assume timing was close to the Jetronic.

The djet has vacuum retard at idle, no vacuum advance at cruise and no vacuum retard at boost

The ECU for the M106 was a combo ECU- it contained the engine and transmission ECU's in one box.
That box is 013 from Bosch and does not allow the engine to run with a manual tranny unless you wire up a special connection to a tranny relay.
One question for you- what were your AFR numbers at boost?

The M102 engine can run a D-Jet ECU? How does the MAP figure out what's happening once the manifold pressure goes positive? I've got an M102 banging around for my $900 Bavaria but I was figuring on eventually going Megasquirt. It would be fun to try D-Jet instead.

Having a learned some about d-jet CSIs and also a owning a 745 through Don's auspices, of course I agree with him! But one question. I don't know about the turbo race cars, but were there any specially tuned d jet setups back in the day? Just on the off chance there are any special things out there... Oh, and be neat if maybe you could share some engine pictures?

Running a djet OS built for a 3.0 engine on a m106 engine with a theoretical displacement of 4.5 liters is a big issue. While the injectors would be a close fit in flow not counting the mismatched impedance and the duty cycle the timing would not. The m102 Jetronic bmw turbo at that time ran 10* retard at idle then positive vacuum and mechanical advance at cruise and then 10* vacuum retard again at boost. Specific differences were due to boost and compression. The M106 was Motronic and 8:1 compression and also equipped with knock control- You can assume timing was close to the Jetronic.

The djet has vacuum retard at idle, no vacuum advance at cruise and no vacuum retard at boost

The ECU for the M106 was a combo ECU- it contained the engine and transmission ECU's in one box.
That box is 013 from Bosch and does not allow the engine to run with a manual tranny unless you wire up a special connection to a tranny relay.
One question for you- what were your AFR numbers at boost?

Mind = Blown! :)

If anyone thinks this is a great idea my buddy is selling his m106 motor. I already let Don know but he has a few banging around already. :)

Thanks for all the replies. Here are a few photos. I do not know how the MAP was detected! Will try to figure it out. The engine ran pretty good and a lot of power kicked in at around 3500 RPM.

Attachments

• IMG_4003.JPG
    IMG_4003.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_4004.JPG
    IMG_4004.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_4005.JPG
    IMG_4005.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_4006.JPG
    IMG_4006.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_4007.JPG
    IMG_4007.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_4009.JPG
    IMG_4009.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_4010.JPG
    IMG_4010.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_4011.JPG
    IMG_4011.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 213
Thanks for all the replies. Here are a few photos. I do not know how the MAP was detected! Will try to figure it out. The engine ran pretty good and a lot of power kicked in at around 3500 RPM.
This looks like the oil piping to the turbo, correct?

img_4007-jpg.21917

Is this fitting from a 745i? I'm assuming it's the feed for the turbo bearings

img_4006-jpg.21916

And this sure looks like a standard D-Jet to me. Don or anybody want to weigh in?

img_4004-jpg.21913

Any pictures of it with the intake piping installed? Is the intercooler behind the right headlight somehow? I've heard this is where the "tuners" of the day installed it but I've never seen how they did it.

Hello- i am dnliii on the 745i board.
Those library files of technical info are mine. Pm me for info.

These are additional pictures. I guess all turbo hardware is from the early euro 745i turbo. The intercooler is inside the right fender at the nose. there is a blow off valve that will open depending on the intake pressure & has two vacuum connections. I need to know where they get connected to. The turbo compressor drains the oil back into the block . I need to clean the connection & see how it is done.

Attachments

• csifi1.JPG
    csifi1.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 166
  • csifi2.JPG
    csifi2.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 183
  • csifi3.JPG
    csifi3.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 174
  • csifi4.JPG
    csifi4.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 184
  • csifi5.JPG
    csifi5.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 162
We had a member (Rich Conway, now that I somehow remember) that had (IIRC) a "factory" Djet twin turbo formerly owned by a BMW bigwig, and another such setup was for sale not too long ago.

Rich owned a lot of CS racers in the day but got out of CS's some years ago.

Last edited:
Love your project but your lift scares the hell of me!

img_4010-jpg.21919
Those cinder blocks are not oriented correctly. They should be rotated 90° so the open spaces are vertical and be capped with a 2x12 to spread the load. They are very strong in compression loads, but that's if they are oriented vertically with an even load. They way these are setup is dangerous.

Ian

Those cinder blocks are not oriented correctly. They should be rotated 90° so the open spaces are vertical and be capped with a 2x12 to spread the load. They are very strong in compression loads, but that's if they are oriented vertically with an even load. They way these are setup is dangerous.

Ian
Thanks. Will do.

Back