Eastcoast "Coupefest" at Watkins Glen Grand Prix W

michael

Site Donor
Reaction score
This might be the perfect venue to finally resurrect the Eastcoast "Coupefest".

A friend of mine, who is an Alfa aficionado, attended the event a few years ago when Alfa was the featured marque and said it was a wonderful event. The featured marque this year is BMW, so it might be the perfect venue to coordinate a coupe gathering.

I thought I'd float the idea and see if anyone else might be interested. The last gathering of coupes was 1999 at BMWCCA Oktoberfest in New Hampshire. We are long overdue here on the east coast!

http://www.lightlink.com/gpfest/

I'm going.
For anyone else considering this, be aware that lodging fills up fast. I'm staying in the Corning area, about 20 miles from the track. Even there, the first motel I tried was full.
Second, check out the Tour de Marque:
http://www.grandprixfestival.com/marque.html
If this looks interesting, I suggest you call, since I heard they were filling the 100 spaces fast.

Hi Michael and Len,

Sounds like a plan, I'm interested.

Are you guys considering more than just 1 day? If so, we should probably try to coordinate proximate hotels, as it looks like we'll need to move quickly.

Chuck

east coast "coupefest"

VERY INTERESTED .............. may be the event to "re-introduce" 2275 997 to Vintage racing ......... Let me know if I can help with any southeast logistics .............

Be Safe, Jimmy

glen

Well, I hope this works out for east coast coupsters. At Limerock we usually have 3-5, at the Boston chapter shows 3 (maybe 4) and Bav Auto 3-4 (this one I don't get). The coupes are here in the northeast (and good ones), they are just not brought out in public. The Glen is a bit of a haul, but for me its all based upon the weather forecast. A high speed run to the Glen sounds fun!

Lime Rock is a great event, but given the fact that BMW is the featured mark at the Glen this year, it seems like a better choice for a gathering. I would also like to see vintage GP machines... Also, we're missing the holiday weekend, so accomodations should be cheaper.

Like Tod, I will keep an eye on the weather. I would love to take a long high speed ride to somewhere other than Bow NH :lol:
Perhaps we could map out a route and convoy. Tools and spare parts would be useful!
Stan

FYI BMW was he honored marque-in 1996 @ Laguna Seca

There were 110 Coupes that were in attendance at the track--can you guys out East top this? That is after "Global Warming" thaws out your part of the country. (;>)

Sorry to have brought up the subject of mild temps earlier--and please don't confuse it as an invitation or inducement to come West as; real estate is already too pricey, freeways are over-crowded and sunburn is commonplace among those of us with blue eyes, fair hair and skin + it's hard on Coupe paint jobs and especially interiors.

A BLUMAX story follows:

FYFI--it was 80+degrees Fahrenheit today in Newport Beach, CA--so nice I had to give the BLUMAX a little blow on the freeway up and back a few miles for a meeting with an owner of a fine tii--BLU is very quick now! Just realized it was 35 years ago at this date that I took possession and responsibility for the BLUMAX from the original owner--and now 370,000 miles later as his loyal caretaker it is still a blast to spin that big six!

At that meeting with the tii owner--remember this is jaded SoCal where fine cars are abundant--three different people stopped to comment on BLU's fine appearance and condition--it is personally rewarding to realize that long term commitments to preserve and still fully enjoy these beauties are rewarded when others take the initiative to admire those efforts.

And, they don't realize that his travels have covered more than 16 times that of circling the globe at the equator--yet most of his interior is still in fine original condition, including all carpets, wood, dash, vinyl, headliner, and door panels--all except front seat bottoms, backs and headrests that were re-covered in black leather 14 or 15 years ago.

I'd be happy if our proposed gathering, at Watkins Glen, would result in 10% of that 110 number. For us here on the East Coast, 11 coupes at one place would be a huge turnout.

OK, I sent my registration today! Lets get the specifics. Who is going, where can we meet along the way, what hotel(s) are you staying in.
I will start from near Portsmouth NH. I do not yet have hotel reservations nor have I decided on how many days I will stay.

Watkins Glen

I'm planning on going as well Stan. I sent you, and other East Coast Coupsters, email to establish if we want to try to book the same hotel, and possible caravan...

Chuck

I reserved a room at the Holiday Inn Express in Horseheads, NY. Its near Elmira and about 15 miles from WG. Its convenient if you're traveling from PA/NY/NJ. It might be a bit of an overshoot for you Stan...

Back