Ebay - Portland Car...Anybody know anything about this one?

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I don't know anything about it but it is the second time I've seen it listed in the last 12 months. Perhaps it wasn't sold the first time. It looks nice but the proof it in the hidden rust. Portland has a pretty damp climate...

steve in reno

Reaction score
It is true that Portland has a very wet climate. Could be a rust bucket. And we have at least 2 very active members on this group from the greater Portland area.
steve

pj

Reaction score
I may regret this , but if you are interested in a very well sorted coupe that has a few niggles, I may be swayed by an offer in the 20k region.I am in Santa Cruz, Ca. E-mail me for pics. She is only going for that price no haggling etc.

PJ
73 csi 3.3 , cr 5 speed, lsd. Sheel mann interior,chamonix,csl front spoiler,st suspension, Rick Nelsons old coupe.
87 325is {track )
95 m3 (road & Track)

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Somebody from the CSR mailing list asked me about this car. My comments to him (I haven't gone to look at the car) --

"I don't recognize it. His "no rust" claim is immediately suspect because the pics of the areas that would show evidence of rust, the tire well and the front inner fenders, show they are rattle-canned. The beltline trim has been stripped and filled, which is generally the aftermath of accident damage fixed on the cheap. The interior looks pretty good. It would be a nice driver, and it's the right color ;-) "

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good pickup Velocewest

I didn't notice the missing trim. What is "rattle-canned"? POR 15?

Still not too bad for $11,900 if no frame damage.

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
"Rattle canned" is just what it sounds like -- painted with a "rattle can" -- a spray can. Coupe bodies are painted the exterior color on almost all surfaces, so anything that is painted black or primer is very suspect.

And I clearly have to get it through my head that coupe values are rising -- I look at that car and think "$7,000, maybe $8,000 tops." Apparently I have a $20,000 car in my garage, I should stop leaning garden tools on it... :p

pj

Reaction score
To all that were interested in my coupe ,I'm sorry wtf was I thinking I can't let the old girl go.
Thanks for the interest

PJ

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
Have not seen the car buy know the owner. He is insistent he is going to keep it, yet puts it on ebay. It does have rust issues, perhpas serious, like a very bad spare tire well with fiberglass repairs. Personally with the mods it has like beltline trim removal, bling wheels, blackened underhood (immediately suspect), etc my opinion it is not worth $11,900 or even ten grand. Do yourself a favor, do not buy this car without a personal inspection, or at least one by someone knowledgeable. Caveat Emptor, dudes.

pdxcsi

Reaction score
I may be checking the coupe out this coming week for a person that contacted me through this board. I'll give a brief review for those interested. I'll look for the usual rust areas, etc. Keep in mind there are a couple of minimal rust coupes in Portland. The climate does not mean that good coupes don't exist up here. Remember, it's not "if" coupes have rust it's how that rust is managed. Good documentation will tell the story.