ebay - used stainless bumpers

I don't know about those bumpers but I have a set if you're interested. I'm in Rocklin.

Dan

Keep in mind that there is a sheet metal strip that is riveted to the bumper that clips into a channel moulded into the rubber bumper. the strips are prone to rusting away and without them its very challenging to get the rubber mounded on the bumper. it something to keep an eye out for: for a bumper being sold without the rubber, check to see if these strips are still attached to the metal bumper; for complete bumpers, check to see if the strips are still there or if something else was used and what the condition is. replacing them is a PITA.

Keep in mind that there is a sheet metal strip that is riveted to the bumper that clips into a channel moulded into the rubber bumper. the strips are prone to rusting away and without them its very challenging to get the rubber mounded on the bumper. it something to keep an eye out for: for a bumper being sold without the rubber, check to see if these strips are still attached to the metal bumper; for complete bumpers, check to see if the strips are still there or if something else was used and what the condition is. replacing them is a PITA.

Can you post more on this please? I purchased a used rear bumper (mine is bent) with these strips mostly rusted off. I removed the remnants of the strip along with the rivets, and am planning to use OEM replacements. It looks like these are simply riveted to the bumper, with the rubber strip being stretched over them.

What is the PITA part of this?

Can you post more on this please? I purchased a used rear bumper (mine is bent) with these strips mostly rusted off. I removed the remnants of the strip along with the rivets, and am planning to use OEM replacements. It looks like these are simply riveted to the bumper, with the rubber strip being stretched over them.

What is the PITA part of this?

Well, there is post after mine for a source for these strips. I didn't know there was a 3rd party making them. the reason I said PITA is because without a source trying to fabricate these strips from sheet metal is a real challenge. and you can't just rivet on a flat strip - it has to have the profile of the original.

But much easier to just buy a new set!

Back