Electric fuel pumps

PaulinPa

Reaction score
Anybody running a Carter Rotary model 4070 to supply a set(2) of Weber 32/36's?Do you use a Pressure regulator?Company I bought it from says no need for one but there seem to be excess fuel issues.Thanks.

Pressure Regulator

Pierce Manifold recommends you use one and Top End says you don't. Weber is very specific on having the right pressure so ere on the side of control and get one.

Lots of options. The one Pierce sells comes pre-set and has a fuel filter integral to the unit.

Ah, electric fuel pumps. I hate em. Give me the simplicity and reliability of a good old mechnical pump and I'm happy. Unfortunately on some cars they're a necessity, even carb'd models. I had to install one on my CS due to throttle linkage constraints. I don't recall the model, but I mounted it in the trunk and used a fuel pressure regulator under the hood. Not sure how many miles Doug's put on it since it was installed, but even the ones that are always running are good for tens of thousands of miles.

Total mileage on the pump (it is a Carter 4070) is about 32,000mi and it reminds me of a fly buzzing in a quiet room when the car is idling. Annoying. Once you're moving I don't really notice it but surely there is a quiet alternative out there.

If it would either make the car go faster or handle better, I would spend some time trying to silence (insulate?) the pump but as it is, the necessary evil will just have to be tolerated.

some pumps are real noisy

you'd have to rubber mount them to isolate the racket from the body.

Then again, some are quiet; your supplier should be able to tell you which is which, since I forget. I do recall that the quiet one is more expensive.

I'm running Facet feul pump with a Holley pressure regulator for my 32/36 Webers. Fuel pump came with rubber mounts, depending on the installation location, certain locations may resonate more. My brother and I run the same pump, but in different locals in the trunk, his is more noticable.

HTH
-shanon

Back