Electronic rust prevention

61porsche

Reaction score
Cathodic Protection and E9

John,

Karman made plain steel bodies for many manufacturers. ( Porsche too) BMW didn't start using galvanizing ( in whole) until 79. Advances today in car protection with epoxies, low e coatings, and steel advances ( higher tensile strength= thinner and harder steel+ lighter. Less cost ( bought any steel commodities lately?)

Unless the cathode is the size of a telephone pole it's doubtful that there's an appreciable benefit. A 69 camaro owner friend of mine ( Nascar guy)installed one and took it out 2 years later.

Modern paints/ restoration techniques ( some offshore oil rig profuction technology) have far more protection than ever was envisioned in the 70's.

An E9 needs attention in the form of modern materials with encapsulators, epoxies and just plain common sense of keeping it dry and regular maintenance knowing it's a steel body and they don't make them like that anymore. I would bet most every E9 owner does his best in this regard.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
hi

i coincide in the previously expresed

those applications of electricity theory seem more adequate for laboratory scale, but the do very well in marketing of expensive unuseful devices through a "scientific patinae"

smoke-sellers !!

bejon deizula !!

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
rust stopping technologies

I have always wanted a magazine to do a real head-to-head comparison of rust inhibitor technologies, from wax-based undercoatings to oil-based undercoatings to the Loctite Extend type of rust treatment to POR-15 to the sacrificial anode, and tell it like it is. I remember years back Consumer Reports did something with deck stain (built a deck, treated each board with different deck stain, left it out in the elements for two years). Something like that with rust-related products would be worth its weight in, uh, steel. Obviously it's difficult in that to be realistic it would need to be on a car or cars that are actually driven. I don't think many of us would buy the sacrificial anode gizmo, slap it on our E9, and use it as a winter beater.

Until there's that information, the best "treatment" is keeping it dry.