engine and tranny

psychrunner

Reaction score
If I were to change out the engine and transmission in my being restored 1972 csi, what is the preferred choice? and how is this decision made (i.e, when does it become cost effective to do so)? Advantages of an engine replacement?
Thanks
psychrunner

x_atlas0

Reaction score
First off, I suggest you check the tech articles section of this website. It contains many great articles on engine swaps, drivetrain swaps, and general resto-modding of the E9. Firstfives.org also has an excellent 2.8->3.5 swap article, with pictures and how to upgrade the fuel injection system.

Next, this is perhaps one of the top three most common questions about E9s. There have been several threads on this topic in the past, ranging from what transmission to use to what engine to use. Search through the old posts, you will find many opinions on the matter, probably much faster than by asking it again.

Lastly, the answer to your question varies largely with how much money you want to spend. The best swap is in the 10K range, at least. The "worst" swap can be done for less than 400$. Also, you have to decide if you want to keep your E9 original, or build it to your tastes. I did my swaps because the originality was already shot when I got it. (bought with a blown engine)

mandala

Reaction score
get the 265...

Thats a getrag 262 which is close ratio. The 265 is what i have and really like it. most recomend the overdrive 265...
Jeff in pdx