Engine bay / bulkhead insulation

Paul02

Reaction score
I think I read on here that the original parts for the insulation of the firewall ? or bulkhead are nla .

If so whats the next best thing to use on the engine side and whats the best material to use on the inside of the same bulkhead/firewall cabin side .

Thanks Paul

Insulation

I used DynaMat /DynaLiner material for the fire wall as well as the bonnet. Used this product extensively in the interior as well...inside the doors, roof, pretty much everywhere. Good stuff and it made a huge difference to quiet the car. Light spray of Honda gray bumper paint to "disappear" the logo on the material (as suggested by a member here on the forum) in the engine bay. Made my templates with cardboard, light spray of 3M super 77 and then covered the cardboard with sheet plastic to make the templates durable and precise.
100_1425.jpg

Last edited:
Insulation

I only did the top portion of the fire wall, what was deteriorated. The lower would have been tough if not impossible with the engine in place.
100_0127.jpg

My cars stripped out at present , blasted and getting metalwork and prepped for paint . Good time to do the firewall or bulkhead as we call it .
Paul

Hi london
Top part is available, but expensive
I have just done it, i can not copy paste the link but if you search through my post (hunting the carbs oroblem) you will see it
Regards

Thanks Bilbao or should I say De Quincey , anyway that was the picture that I wanted in your link . Now I will try to get the original parts but if I can't I will use Pamps dynamat or dynaliner
thanks Paul

Thanks Bilbao or should I say De Quincey , anyway that was the picture that I wanted in your link . Now I will try to get the original parts but if I can't I will use Pamps dynamat or dynaliner
thanks Paul

ha,ha paul, that subtle, cinic, crispy and marvelous english humour,
all my beloved dequincey, swift, and many other "opiumeaters"

i can explain the reason, i was in sweden with very little acces to internet, so my answer, trying to be quick, was done with my mobile, and when i started answering i realised that i missed your name, but as certainly i remembered that your city was london (incidentaly, i will be there in four days), i decided to name your after your nice city, " thus conrad saith, while waiting for the turn of the tide anchored in gravesend, in the mouth of marlowe : ....and this also has been one of the dark places on earth",... but that is another tale...

happy to know that the information reached you on time and it has helpful

anyway now i haveseen that i mentioned an uncorrect thread, this is the one:
http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8558&page

regards

Last edited:
I had to make one for my 6 series. What I ended up doing was to measure the thickness of the original. I then bought two sheets of neoprene rubber that equaled the original thickness. I did this, as it is easier to "mold" a thinner sheet than a thicker. I first formed and glued the first layer and I then laminated them using contact cement, and am more then pleased with the outcome. I also did this for the floor and firewall underlayment in the interior. Some of the original underlayment was rotted out in spots. What I did was to fill in the rotted stuff with new foam and then put a layer of dense cell foam over the whole thing. It duplicates the original very closely.

I think I read on here that the original parts for the insulation of the firewall ? or bulkhead are nla .

If so whats the next best thing to use on the engine side and whats the best material to use on the inside of the same bulkhead/firewall cabin side .

Thanks Paul

The upper isolation is still available at BMW. Well, cost some local-dollars, but the final result "in the engine bay" is stunning!
I spend a lot of my time in the engine bay!! More than the golf course!!!

Back