Engine block stampings

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
We are all reading about the no-reserve Batmobile on BaT
with the replaced engine block with the VIN stamped on it.
My engine was built by Korman Auto Works in 2005. Their records don't go back that far to give me details of the block.
The side has "3.0 / 3.3" on the side and "22f81" cast on the side also.
The VIN stamped on the edge is "double7 36227 up side down 8"
The head is cast with an "86" and " 1 288 086.9"
Does anyone know where the block and head might have come from?
BTW-Korman paints their blocks satin black or Ford Blue....

Attachments

• IMG_1105.jpg
    IMG_1105.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1106.jpg
    IMG_1106.jpg
    418.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1107.jpg
    IMG_1107.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 87
Your block was cast on June 22, 1981. The block number has X’s on either side which I thought usually indicates factory replacement.

Real oem suggests the block is from a USA 1981 733i using 7362278 as the last 7 numbers of the vin
Ian--Thanks for your info. An engine from a 733 makes sense with the 3.0/3.3 cast in the block. We'll never know if Korman bored it out to 3.5L as was told to the previous owner who bought the engine from Korman. The receipts don't give those details.---Drew

All, I purchased an engine and 5 speed transmission as a package deal. They were in dry storage for many years and had been picked from a wrecking yard when the donor car was lost due to a fire while fairly new (thought to be an insurance job, but who knows). The condition is thought to be very low miles on both, and they are both very clean with no grease or oil build-up which supports the thought that they were harvested when fairly new.

Since acquiring the engine I loaded the cylinders with oil and have spun it over from time to time to keep the walls and rings lubricated. Not sure if that was done prior to my acquisition.

I was interested in this thread as I would also like to know more about the vehicle the engine came from, but Real OEM engine number search did not work for me. Any ideas? The engine number appears to be: 40443646

IMG_4757.JPG
IMG_4754.JPG
IMG_4753.JPG

Back