Engine install

Chris Neal

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm planning on installing a BMW E34 535 engine and transmission in a 1974 CS. The original engine was lost in shipping. The Question is that there is a large "bump" at the oil pan. Can anyone confirm if this will fit before I start setting it in place this weekend. Thank you so much for any insight!

Please see picture
IMG_1581.jpg

That intake manifold choice is going to make for a lot of work in fabricating to avoid crashing into your stock brake booster.

You want the e9 pan or even an E28 pan, not the E34 pan. Will also have to change oil pump pickup. And since the motor is from E34, you’ll need an adapter for the right side engine mount bracket.

Hot ticket is to get the banana intake setup from an e12 or old e24.

Avoid the brake booster fiasco

The easiest way this this is going to work is
Replace the oil pan and oil pump with the original design from an E9, E3 and E12 so that it will fit with the factory subframe.

You're going to need the E9,E3,E24,E12,or E23 oil filter housing and canister.

I would then use the E12 intake design or possibly swap your brake booster out for a 2800 or 2002 one so, you can clear the stock 3.5L intake

Most importantly on the exhaust side or right side of the engine, if you do not have a bunch of mounting holes cast into the block you are going to need the adapter plate that was mentioned by @wkohler .

I can't stand that oil filter housing, especially when the check valve fails. The E28 housing without the oil cooler is the best in my opinion. Top bolt, don't get hot oil all over your arm when you undo the bolt and it doesn't the spring like the steel canisters have. Plus it's not in your face. Have to add an M10x1 DIN plug to plug hole in the block behind the oil filter housing or you won't have oil pressure when you start the car. Basically everything on the left, right and bottom of the motor is less-than-ideal.

What a flood of intel! As has been stated many times, this Forum rocks! Where else can you get such unbiased, specific, helpful, detailed information, in such an immediate fashion? Great comments! ;)

yes indeed
this is byfar the most incredible. intelligent auto site in the whole world wide web
with the most wonderful and inclusive auto information on one of the best and
most beautiful cars on the road.
its so great to ask any question and have a myriad of intelligent answers to
help you solve any problem you you addressed with.
thanks all!

Last edited:
Back