engine options

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been covered before but with the old site archives not available my internet searches haven't yielded very much. Could someone explain the pros/cons of the various engine swaps/modifications that can be done to a CS. What do people think of modifying a CSL's engine vs keeping it stock?

What about a list of common upgrades to suspension set up as well.

It would be very helpful to have some collective wisdom on these issues.

thanks

x_atlas0

Reaction score
If you are trying to keep the car Naturally Aspirated, the best setup is a 1987 735 or 1988+ e24 635 motor, as those motors are M30B35s without needing any funky adapter plates for the motor mounts. This gives you a motor with 210crank hp stock, and about 220 lb-ft stock. Adding the log style manifold and using 320i intake runners on that manifold will help with low-end torque. Should still get between 20-30mpg, and can run on regular.

Using older motors (M30B34) is good because the US versions have an 8:1 CR, making them ideal for boosting. Turbocharging Dynamics makes a kit that easily nets more than 360rwhp on stock internals.

Modifying a CSL is not such a wise choice, in terms of the vehicle's value. Most of the big dollar CSLs are completely original, and sometimes go for more than 40k.

Since it is such a rare old car, there are not a plethora of aftermarket parts. The easiest suspension upgrade is to use a set of Bilsteins and a set of Carl Nelson's springs. Then, for sways, the Bavaria sways are slightly larger and should fit on the CS, if I recall ight.

Malc

Reaction score
Starting backwards...

Suspension
I would suggest to "tighten" up the handling I would fit "polybush" or proflex urethane bushes. A set of Bilstien Shock absorbers and strut inserts will help too.
Depending on the E9 model you can fit or uprate antiroll bars, but do remember it was originally designed as a long distance touring car not a racer... that came later :wink:
Engine
Folk stuff all sorts of engines in and as stated it depends on what you want. I personally will rebuild the original 3.0 litre engine, but I will "blue print" it, along with porting, 3 angle cut valve seats. Upgrade the FI ignition system etc.
220HP is enough for me :) not really, but in this car yes

Malc

corsachili

Reaction score
Oh yes, the million dollar question. Personally I don't believe there's much you can do to a D-Jet motor to improve performance. The computer just can't compensate for larger valves, cams, etc, at least not cost effectively.

I am currently faced with the same dilimma, except my D-Jet motor is not the original one, and I am having a helluva time figuring out what's wrong. I have an S38 motor that I'm rebuilding which will eventually go in to the CSL, but if I had a numbers matching 3 liter motor, I'd keep it.

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses so far. I'm considering a low mileage original CS, doing a complete "refurbishment" with upgrades to suspension, engine and interior or buying or restoring a CSL and feel each has its merits.

It sounds like a CSL long term will probably have the best value and an updated e9 will probably be the best drive/useability option. An original unmolested CS would be cool though... of course to get one of each may be the answer....one day.

chuck

pj

Reaction score
I would wait and be patient the car you want will come up , buy it already done, unless you are a lunatic like TJ ( love you man) or stark raving mad hmmm Malc comes to mind and have a super understanding other half .

What ever you get will need a certain degree of work/personalizing and maintainance.
I scored when I got mine, it had all the suspension work,16" wheels, 5 speed, scheel interior. 3.2 motor ,L-Jet , Boxes of spares and a paper trail back to the guy who built/owned it in the 80's.
It took me 3 yrs of waiting looking but it was worth it

Good luck, enjoy it , and drive it

PJ