engine transplant

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm considering replacing my '74 carburetor 3.0 engine with another '74 that is fuel-injected (FI engine is less worn out and I'm getting tired fiddling with carbs). Can anyone advise what are the major problems if I do this myself (I have the time)? Thanks for any help.

corsachili

Reaction score
The biggest problem will be the pain in your back! It's completely feasible, this swp, but it's a big, dirty, messy job. In all candor, as long as they're both 4spds, the swap should be relatively straightforward.

-tj in Los Gatos

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
FOUR speed??? Now is the time to get that FIVE speed installed.

Boneyard on Winton in Hayward has a 528i with 5 speed with only 147k on it waiting for someone to pick it for 160 bucks. :p

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bill,

I agree about the five speed, IF you plan to do a lot more highway driving. I understand the gearing is the same in both transmissions unless you have a close ration four speed. The only advantage is fewer rpm's and better gas mpg at highway speed. The fiver was in my donor coupe with the correct drive shaft.

You will need a different driveshaft, it will probably have to be balanced. I had to do that with mine even though it was already in a converted coupe.

As I think of positives and negatives I will let you know.

Steve